OG&E Smarthours anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not on it because I have a wife and 3 kids home this summer. I won't ask them to suffer through the afternoon but we try and put off washing and other energy hogs in the afternoon. I got my bill today and it was $244 so not too bad for a 2400 sq ft home. Hot summers are good for my wallet. I'm an operator at a powerplant so I will keep working to keep your AC and lights on. :D

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not on it because I have a wife and 3 kids home this summer. I won't ask them to suffer through the afternoon but we try and put off washing and other energy hogs in the afternoon. I got my bill today and it was $244 so not too bad for a 2400 sq ft home. Hot summers are good for my wallet. I'm an operator at a powerplant so I will keep working to keep your AC and lights on. :D

Thank you for your hard work man.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very seldom and IIRC, they are only allowed so many hours at critical a year. This will bring them to 9 hours total. My house hasn't gotten over 84 degrees yet this summer and I turn off everything on 23 cent days before I leave. Then we just go out to eat and hang out at Lowes or something until 7.

Where are we at now? They are really digging that critical rate! :(

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't do it...Stay at home Mom with 2 kids and the house doesn't get above 72 EVER - and that's with 3 units running...

Needless to say, I'm scared of the bill this month!

M

mikem1262

If you've got an electric hot water heater, I'd recommend buying a hot-water timer.
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-WH...id=1342847826&sr=8-3&keywords=how+water+timer

I set mine to turn off during peak hours. But you'll still have plenty of hot-water to get thru the peak-period.
When the hot water heaters turn on, they use a lot of juice - and you'd never know.
(... of course, 'on-demand' heaters excluded)

Get a tankless water heater. It works great, only comes on when you need it. We put one in our house to help save on the propane bill, plus they offer tax breaks for buying one. It will also give you plenty of hot water to fill a tub if you like without running out. We have had it for almost 5 years with no problems.

expertzx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So with tomorrow being a "critical rate", that will make it the 5th straight day in a row where it's either at a "high" or "critical" rate. Wonder how long this is going to last?

Latest posts

Top Bottom