OG&E Smarthours anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone signed up on this? It seems to be a tiered pricing plan with a pretty steep discount on off peak hours. I recently signed up thinking I would save a few bucks. I've gotten two texts today. 1st one says that tomorrow's peak period (2 to 7 p.m.) rate is going to the high rate of 23 cents per kwh. About 2 hours later I get another saying they are calling a critical event for 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and charging 46 cents. Yesterday was the 1st day since I signed up that they even went on the high rate, it's just been the "normal rate" during peak hours until yesterday. At least as long as I've been on it anyway. According to their site I am saving a bit, but I'm wondering now...

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No chit! I'm turning of everything tomorrow at 3:00! 10X the discount rate? :faint:

How often do they go critical?

Very seldom and IIRC, they are only allowed so many hours at critical a year. This will bring them to 9 hours total. My house hasn't gotten over 84 degrees yet this summer and I turn off everything on 23 cent days before I leave. Then we just go out to eat and hang out at Lowes or something until 7.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used 150% more electricity last month than the month before and my bill was several dollars less. Saved me about $40 over what I estimated the bill to have run without SmartHours. Hate the thermostat though so I changed it out.

expertzx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been on it for a week or so. Today was a rough day, with temps greater than 100 outside, the temp in the house quickly went from 72 to 80. The AC was basically on periodically keeping it at 80. Hot as hell outside today. I'm working tomorrow so I won't be around to suffer the 46 cent rate tomorrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom