OGE remotely controlling thermostat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well crap. If I was those folks I wouldn't allow tricity in my house at all.

You know, when my grandparents first electricity installed in their house in the late 50's, they had the electrical outlets installed at waist level because they didn't want the juice to run out on the floor.

True story.

Yeah I'm sure that everyone worrying about smart meters are like that also.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure that everyone worrying about smart meters are like that also.
Well I didn't mean it to sound like they are stupid.

What I meant was, a handful of people who expect the utility to provide electricity to their household so they can run their microwave ovens, cordless phones, electric blankets and televisions are concerned about the health effects of the meter that measures the electricity consumed by those devices?

Seriously?

If I really believed that I would move somewhere else and live off the grid.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I didn't mean it to sound like they are stupid.

What I meant was, a handful of people who expect the utility to provide electricity to their household so they can run their microwave ovens, cordless phones, electric blankets and televisions are concerned about the health effects of the meter that measures the electricity consumed by those devices?

Seriously?

If I really believed that I would move somewhere else and live off the grid.

I'm sorry I guess I misunderstood what you were implying and your true meaning.
This appears to be more just a handful of people worrying about something completely baseless.

http://www.smartmeterdangers.org/

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I just don't understand and that's my failing.

What I'm not getting is how can a meter, that is outside of my house, irradiate me with more EMF than the microwave oven I am standing in front of, inside the house?
The microwave oven is consuming the power and converting it to microwave radiation, not the meter.

Lots of people scared of lots of things.
Guns
Climate Change
Agenda 21
Deforestation
Killer Asteroids

I live in Oklahoma so I mostly worry about tornadoes, hail storms, scorpions, and wild fires.
But to each his own.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
When this program was announced a year or so ago and I said they would be controlling things like this, people thought I was stupid and no way it would be used like that...:P

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I just don't understand and that's my failing.

What I'm not getting is how can a meter, that is outside of my house, irradiate me with more EMF than the microwave oven I am standing in front of, inside the house?
The microwave oven is consuming the power and converting it to microwave radiation, not the meter.

Lots of people scared of lots of things.
Guns
Climate Change
Agenda 21
Deforestation
Killer Asteroids

I live in Oklahoma so I mostly worry about tornadoes, hail storms, scorpions, and wild fires.
But to each his own.

A microwave doesn't transmit in open atmosphere via RF waves. Is it a real problem, I'm not sure. But it's clear that some have feel they have good reason to worry.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same thing happened again today, it was on hold at 70, and when I got home it was down to 65 "conservation" mode. I found the setting mentioned earlier, it was set to "balanced", so I switched it all the way to "comfort". We'll see what happens.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big Brother is in control and you gladly let him have it. I WILL not have a smart meter, despite their arm twisting, saying I must do it, or anything else they want to try. I will control my own electric usage.

I am wondering how you have gotten out of that, maybe out in the country for now, but soon there will be no option, I fought it tooth and nail, but in the end I lost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom