Ok guys I have a question about purchasing a handgun..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macdaddypro

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So can someone please help me out?
What are the laws/rules for purchasing a handgun from another individual?
Do you have to register it or what..

I know this might seem like a dumb question but i'm new to all of this and i have definitely been bitten by "the gun bug" Therefore I gotta know how to get some guns!

Thanks

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just make sure in fact you are legal to buy the firearm. Always do a bill of sale, I've learned lately how useful it may end up being to have one. Also, if time is alotted, make sure the pistol/firearm isn't "hot"

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just make sure in fact you are legal to buy the firearm. Always do a bill of sale, I've learned lately how useful it may end up being to have one. Also, if time is alotted, make sure the pistol/firearm isn't "hot"

And just how would one go about making sure the firearm is not "hot". It's not like you can call it in to NCIC to run a trace nor can you call the police/sheriff to have them run the serial #.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hand them money, they hand you the gun. Some people do a bill of sale, but it isn't necessary.

This^ A lot of people, myself included, will not do a bill of sale for an individual sale. It is not required, and in my opinion just gives the anti-gunners another thing to try and reason for more regulation. They claim that even among gun owners, people should require a bill of sale. I have walked away from purchases and sales because people asking for them when we show up to do the transaction. If you don't feel good about it, walk away.:slap:

I am not sure about a minor purchasing a handgun from a private individual. I know you must be 21 for the NICS, but I don't think you can purchase one from an individual until 21 either. I know you can possess one that was given to you though. Aren't you 19? I thought I read that in one of your other posts.

What happened lately that made you make this statement? I have seen several people say this, but have never had anyone give me a reason that would make sense. Legally, you have done nothing wrong, why add to transaction?

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This^ A lot of people, myself included, will not do a bill of sale for an individual sale.

Likewise. I will not EVER sign a bill of sale or force a buyer to sign one. If I get a bad vibe or the buyer doesn't look of age / maturity, I'm gone.

That's why I deal with forum members who have established reputations here on the forum.

It is legal for someone 18-20 to own a handgun, but you can't buy one from an FFL...you can from a private transaction.

The thing you should take away from this is...absolutely do not break the law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom