OK Rut Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rut is starting in Grady Co, but not full blown yet in my opinion. I saw a few bucks cruising, but then saw 4 bucks running together. 2 mature bucks along with 2 younguns...and none were sparring or anything.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just my honest opinion.....
Right now, I'm seeing nothing but dink bucks and yearling does. No mature does.
I'm thinking the big bucks have does sequestered right now, and aren't showing themselves. Lock down period.
Saw one 8 point yesterday actively chasing a doe like one would expect to see this time of year and nothing else.
Today, saw a nice 8 point dogging a doe across a milo field. Not chasing, but following.
12 or so does out feeding with no buck activity in their area.
In the next week, a lot of does are going to be bred, and if you have a high buck to doe ratio like most of Oklahoma, they don't have travel far to find another doe to breed.

I'm betting late next week there will be a lot of big bucks out cruising for does that have not been bred.
Tonight, I had 4 does come to the feeder. All yearling does but one adult.
A dink buck came in and pestered them. They all bolted except for the adult doe. She fed like no big deal. The buck ran the others off and went after them.
She stood there like nothing happened. I suspect she had already been bred?
I think the best is yet to come.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
took my deer to sallee's this morning. the place was pretty busy but not as bad as i thought it might be. i was there about an hour. headed south on sooner road and had a 10 pointer run across the road in front of me. 11 o'clock

Latest posts

Top Bottom