Oklahoma Baptist pledge stand against homosexuality, while offering compassion to gay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because values change over time. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking. Species are not the only things to evolve...cultural ideas evolve also...in this case, values.

Yep - values change, not sure "evolve" is the correct word. "Lower standards", "devolve", those come to mind.

I was just reading about some pre-Revolution churches - most wouldn't allow Tories. Now I wonder if the SBC would have the brass to take a stand like that. More than just a potential loss of revenue for them, back then.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or, it exposes in what ways those values are changing.
Whose values are changing? "Love the sinner, hate the sin" is a long time Baptist principle--I know that's what I was taught back in the '70s, and I'm pretty sure it's what my great grandfather preached in the late 1800s.

This is not about changing values, it's about the messaging. A church cannot condone behavior which is specifically condemned in the Bible (and "if a dude boinks another dude, you kill them both" in Leviticus 20:13 seems to be pretty clear on that subject), but the sole mission of the church is to seek and to save that which was lost, and you can't exactly do that if you're sending the message "we hate you." That perception is what they're trying to change, so they can more effectively do what they're called to do.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
religion of peace
An outsider could look at the Bible and easily conclude that the Christians are a genicidal people putting every man and woman to the sword and dashing their little ones against the rocks. Those of us who come from the Baptist tradition explain away the parts of the Old Testament that seem inappropriate. We don't want outsiders telling us what we believe because Jesus brought a new covenent. Then again he came not to undermine the law but to fulfill it. So who decides when the Old Testament matters and when it doesn't? We do. We can read the Pam Geller's Cliff's Note's Koran and tell the heathen what they believe based on their book. Nobody can tell us what we believe, though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom