Oklahoma deputy kills family dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, asbestos long johns on ...

So it's all right to shoot (and/or kill) another human being if someone reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself, but not all right to shoot (and/or kill) a dog under the same circumstances?

Or are all the negative comments about holding LEO's to a "higher standard" whatever that means?

I believe the item in question is his legal authority to be on the private property without consent. The report states he was looking for "a person of interest". Exigent circumstance doesn't apply there. Was there a warrant? How did he get to where he shot the dog? On foot? Was it next to where he parked his patrol car? The report stated that it was a 60 acre property. We don't know where the home was located on that parcel of land. Was there a locked gate?

Lots of questions and few answers. :(

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How'd we move into the house? To keep from going off track on the comparison, since it seems the point was missed, let's also assume that the person being attacked is not engaged in an unlawful activity and that the attack happens in a place where they have a right to be.

So - why doesn't the same rule apply if being attacked by an animal as it would if being attacked by a person?

Interestingly enough, while "Stand your Ground" says the person being attacked has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, it does not appear to specify that the attacker must be human.

I dont know about being held to higher standards, Dogs are pretty far up there, its just that...welll...they dont read to well.
Therefore they just stand theyre ground ,trained or by instinct, Ive had both.
Sometimes ya get a bad one of those too, bite a human...defending, you go to re-training.
Bite a human ...unprovoked, not defending, a ride to the country.
Should we treat LEO's like that, of course not , its apples and pomegranites... ;)
The Dogs that I have trained , were trained with tennis balls, they NEVER put theyre teeth on a human, unless doing what was trained for or commanded.
Ive never had to give the command, the Dogs are protective ,by nature.
They hover around my wife when anyone is here at the house.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe the question is what gives the officer a right to trespass, discharge a firearm a few times, then call it good and leave. The way the article reads it leads me to believe the homeowner happened upon the carcass, that may or may not be the case.

I have never seen a dog ignore a human entering their yard, mine are out all the time when the utility guy came by. It's never been a problem. But I fully expect that my coon hound would be shot as he was loping towards a police officer.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OK, asbestos long johns on ...

So it's all right to shoot (and/or kill) another human being if someone reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself, but not all right to shoot (and/or kill) a dog under the same circumstances?

Or are all the negative comments about holding LEO's to a "higher standard" whatever that means?

Not especially, its just that some of us believe dogs are presumed dangerous whenever they approach a police officer, in this case one who was likely trespassing.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not especially, its just that some of us believe dogs are presumed dangerous whenever they approach a police officer, in this case one who was likely trespassing.

Is that why you have an assault cat as your avatar, that is an assault cat , am I correct in assuming that is an assault cat, is it dangerous.?
So you ever let that assault cat out, does that assault cat ever sneak out?
Hmm assault cats ....the New protection....assault cats!

.Assault cats ....stalking your neighbor hood?

;)

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the item in question is his legal authority to be on the private property without consent. The report states he was looking for "a person of interest". Exigent circumstance doesn't apply there. Was there a warrant? How did he get to where he shot the dog? On foot? Was it next to where he parked his patrol car? The report stated that it was a 60 acre property. We don't know where the home was located on that parcel of land. Was there a locked gate?

Lots of questions and few answers. :(

Exactly, and those are all valid questions. I love dogs as much as anyone - after my last one passed I haven't had any more because it's just too hard to lose one. I just thought some of the earlier comments were interesting in context and wondered if people really intended to mean that animal should somehow get more "benefit of the doubt" than another person. I'm not completely sure which side of that question I'd necessarily come down on in every case, either. But I am pretty sure that if I was about to be attacked in a situation that I couldn't win and would be badly hurt in, I'd probably act to defend myself by whatever means I had at my disposal.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Exactly, and those are all valid questions. I love dogs as much as anyone - after my last one passed I haven't had any more because it's just too hard to lose one. I just thought some of the earlier comments were interesting in context and wondered if people really intended to mean that animal should somehow get more "benefit of the doubt" than another person. I'm not completely sure which side of that question I'd necessarily come down on in every case, either. But I am pretty sure that if I was about to be attacked in a situation that I couldn't win and would be badly hurt in, I'd probably act to defend myself by whatever means I had at my disposal.

I don't think anyone here has any demands that include anyone laying back and taking a mauling. That position is just dumb. Nor do I think anyone here thinks "all cops hate dogs." But I do think that there are examples of un-needed dog shooting, and I do think some officers have been given inappropriate protection by their departments after some of these incidents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom