Oklahoma forestry service TREE sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer package consists of osage orange, persimmon, shumard oak and sand plum.

That sounds like my kind of eatin'
I eat a lot of sand plum and persimmon during the right seasons.

OH this is for the Deer!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The great thing about sand plum is how easy it is to grow the thicket. Its a rhizome so in the early spring I disk around the outside of the thicket, cutting the roots. When you cut the root, two more plants will start up from that root. In a couple of years, you'll have all the sand plum jelly you can eat. :D

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The great thing about sand plum is how easy it is to grow the thicket. Its a rhizome so in the early spring I disk around the outside of the thicket, cutting the roots. When you cut the root, two more plants will start up from that root. In a couple of years, you'll have all the sand plum jelly you can eat. :D

I can second that as I am clearing some acres for the last couple years.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to drill pretty deep, but here is a link to the hardwoods. minimum order is 100 trees to pick up from the trucks coming around. 500 minimum for mail order.

http://www.forestry.ok.gov/hardwood...=LwBvAHIAZABlAHIALQBzAGUAZQBkAGwAaQBuAGcAcwA=

Edit: here is a better link: http://www.forestry.ok.gov/order-seedlings

Edit: Just found out they have wildlife packages of 4 different types of trees and shrubs that benefit deer directly. Haven't seen this offer before. http://www.forestry.ok.gov/wildlife...=LwBvAHIAZABlAHIALQBzAGUAZQBkAGwAaQBuAGcAcwA=

The deer package is shown as out of stock. Interesting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that. I'll bet its a real popular package. A phone call to them to see if there will be more this year, or possibly put in for a bundle for next year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Soil conservation service. Each county has an office. I think Grant county charged me .05 per tree as rental for the planter. I had to provide the tractor. I don't know if every county has a tree planter. This one looked kind of home made.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the persimmon and shumard oak in the deer package. I have no use for bo'darc or sand plum.

I picked up 15 or so persimmons off a buddy's place when drinking beer and driving tractors. I am going to try and start some persimmon trees.

Latest posts

Top Bottom