Oklahoma Is Leading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Certainly not a prerequisite to work in my field. I think it helps to get the fundemantals of thermodynamics, psychometrics, electrical theory, and a grasp of the refrigerant cycle and heat transfer before entering the field. The kids are required to apprentice for 3 years before testing for journeyman status.

Heck, my daughter applied and attended the bioscience and medical academy at Francis Tuttle in high school. She just got her Bachelors in Micro biology from OU a couple weeks ago and going for her master's.

They also have an Engineering academy for kids heading towards that degree.

I've made a decent living in my trade. I've made more than some degreed friends even before I started my own business. We need good tradesman
I agree we need good tradesman and think if we are going to have the facilities then they should be giving real certificates or credits that mean something to employers or not have it at all. Also cut the classes that don't translate.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm categorizing, based on what academic classes are called. Please, don't get side tracked. I had a real question about how do you decide which classes a student takes.

So what is wrong with the current method where the student and the parents make that choice? Are you proposing a European/German model where it is the result of a test battery at ages 12-14?

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what is wrong with the current method where the student and the parents make that choice? Are you proposing a European/German model where it is the result of a test battery at ages 12-14?
because the student and parent do not really make the choice.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, most teachers moving from OK to TX don't move to DFW--they move to smaller cities/towns with lower COL. Second, COL is misleading because it doesn't represent the actual difference people see (e.g., after deducting no state income tax, better public facilities, better education for their own kids, better economy/job-market and better paying jobs for their spouses)--as others that live in Texas have explained, it's mostly a wash in cost difference with everything considered (which those COL calculators don't do). In short, teachers moving from OK to TX make significantly more money with the same cost of living, move into a flourishing economy, and their families benefit as well--Oklahoma is losing a great deal in this regard.
My daughter moved to DFW area teaching, started roughly a little more than $20,000 than what she would have in Oklahoma. They don't pay state income tax and no social security. My advise to her was get a disability plan and start another retirement.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
because the student and parent do not really make the choice.
The students decide.
no they do not, at all. they can have an option, but the kids that need to go would not qualify. the students that qualify do not need to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom