Oklahoma Is Leading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
because the student and parent do not really make the choice.

no they do not, at all. they can have an option, but the kids that need to go would not qualify. the students that qualify do not need to go.

I've got a 21 and 23 year old. One skipped college and works with me and UPS the other grad of OU. They both chose different paths. Their choice.

What keeps kids from qualifying for advanced studies?

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
how do you decide who goes to shop class versus advanced classes?
Sorry it has taken so long to respond, life got in the way.
I don't think there is a solid answer to this. The interests and wishes of the child of course play a role in the decision cycle. You see many high school juniors and seniors that are stuck on a plan mom and dad made for them. Then again you see a few that have a passion for something else, like jocks that want to go to college to play ball, I have seen kids that want to work on motors, motorcycles, HVAC systems, be Physical therapy techs, CNAs, pipeline welders, horse trainers, and many other professions. Even in the Military I saw, and I am sure you did as well, many folks that to them, the Military was a lifelong goal. I fully support the college experience for whomever wishes it, but I think realistically, many do not due to a plethora of circumstances.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry it has taken so long to respond, life got in the way.
I don't think there is a solid answer to this. The interests and wishes of the child of course play a role in the decision cycle. You see many high school juniors and seniors that are stuck on a plan mom and dad made for them. Then again you see a few that have a passion for something else, like jocks that want to go to college to play ball, I have seen kids that want to work on motors, motorcycles, HVAC systems, be Physical therapy techs, CNAs, pipeline welders, horse trainers, and many other professions. Even in the Military I saw, and I am sure you did as well, many folks that to them, the Military was a lifelong goal. I fully support the college experience for whomever wishes it, but I think realistically, many do not due to a plethora of circumstances.
I am not saying that blue collar is bad choice, I was enlisted in the Army. I always wanted tp join the Army from the time I was a kid. I see lots of kids that all they want to do is go to college. I see lots of kids, about 80%, of our graduates that are not sure, but are just going along with what everyone else is doing or what their parents want. most kids today, do not get exposure to blue collar fields and will not. If their parents does not remove them from the college path, which means losing Oklahoma Promise, they cannot go to vo-tech. A kid that needs to attend a vocational school because, traditional studies are not interesting or they are just plainly are not good writers or math is confusing, more than likely has a C average, which means he/she cannot apply for vo-tect. When kids that have a B or above average goes to vo-tech, they try to guide them into college prep classes.
When I was 13 I could operate heavy equipment, do general maintenance, and weld a little. by the time I was 16 I could rebuild a motor and wire a shop, I graduated high school at 17 and went to Ft Benning for summer vacation. However, I grew up on a working farm. The difference between us and lots of kids now is exposure, they never see anyone fix anything, lots do not even have a man in their homes to show them how to fix a lawnmower. If a kid does not even know to replace the filter on their furnace, how are they ever going to be interested in HVAC?
Last year, I literally took my regular US History class to the parking lot to showed them how to winch down the spare tire from a pickup. one of the kids had gotten a flat and had no idea how to get his spare down.
The last thing I wanted to bring up is the cost of vo-tech. I cannot remember exactly but vo-tech spending considerably higher than high school. if the state cannot properly fund the school system, do you think they can afford to expand enrollment in vo-tech?

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@Pokinfun - this is your lane. I am certainly not an educator by any means, nor do I have the necessary talents to be such. I agree completely that exposure is critical and fundamentally lacking for most. When I was in High School, a long time ago. Shop was a required class your Senior year and the kids that went to Vo tech were considered greasers and car jocks. I know, I know the language dates me. I have no idea the costs associated with vocational training, just that it seems if the child is interested in it, then let him/her go do their thing. By the way, my ex is a special needs teacher in Tennessee and has been for over 25 years, I truly respect your chosen field.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Pokinfun - this is your lane. I am certainly not an educator by any means, nor do I have the necessary talents to be such. I agree completely that exposure is critical and fundamentally lacking for most. When I was in High School, a long time ago. Shop was a required class your Senior year and the kids that went to Vo tech were considered greasers and car jocks. I know, I know the language dates me. I have no idea the costs associated with vocational training, just that it seems if the child is interested in it, then let him/her go do their thing. By the way, my ex is a special needs teacher in Tennessee and has been for over 25 years, I truly respect your chosen field.
I guess it goes back to how do you choose who goes to vo-tech? if kids do not have exposure, parents all(most) want their kid to college, I am opposed to a test, I am opposed the guidance counsellor choosing for multiple reasons, who decides? I have seen special needs teachers, on more than one occasion, tell students and parents that college is an achievable goal, when the kids is only passing because their grades and course work is modified for them to pass.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Agreed, the IEP that got them through high school does in fact do little to no good helping the student to succeed/prepare in college. Many folks do not acknowledge this, it in turn laying down a certain level of false security for the parents and child. I know not the answer, I wish I did.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True for many, but in some cases grades are not a good indication of how a student will perform at a higher level. There are way too many variables that can effect past and future performance. A student who struggled throughout high school may end up excelling in the college environment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom