Old Timers: what kind of beer did you drink when you were young?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I swear, there was a beer named Billy Beer. It was owned or sponsored or something by Jimmy Carter's brother - who was an embarrassement both to Jimmy and Miss Lillian. But it was a good twangy beer out of a can.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like y'all got most of them. Here's a few more I can remember:
Dixie, Buckhorn, Hamm's Draft, Olde Frothingslosh, BEER (Generic, for those that remember that marketing gem, think our area got Dixie), whatever cheap crap the Class Six had, Miller Ponies (one shooters), Yeungling's, and don't forget
Champale. Pearl and Lone Star were the standbys in TX, Stroh's and Goebel's for my Yankee relations, and my BIL single-handedly kept Old Milwaukee famous.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
oh yes, get it by the 30pk

Maybe it is the passage of time and the aging of the taste buds, but Stroh's doesn't seem quite the same anymore since it is no longer brewed in Detroit, with local water, by the Stroh family.

The ultimate Stroh's experience was when it was served on tap at the old Tiger Stadium. Yeah! A draft-style, Detroit-brewed Stroh's and a Hygrade's Ball Park Frank. The kids got Vernor's ginger ale.

Think about it. An original Stroh's on tap at the old Tiger Stadium. Something that will never be experienced by anyone ever again.

Right now, I am thinking about Dad sucking down the Stroh's while waiting for Denny McClain, Bill Freehan, Al Kaline, et al to take the field against Micky Mantle's Yankees. I got to drink the Vernor's back then. My turn with the Stroh's arrived in the late 70's and included the 1984 championship team.

Those were such wonderful times.....

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents didn't drink, but when I was a kid, the neighborhood teenagers would drink Coors in the park at the end of our street. Let me tell you what, that stuff has a unique, rotten stench after sitting in trash can over an Oklahoma summer day, and it has a lot to do with why I still don't like beer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I swear, there was a beer named Billy Beer. It was owned or sponsored or something by Jimmy Carter's brother - who was an embarrassement both to Jimmy and Miss Lillian. But it was a good twangy beer out of a can.

My dad bought and kept a 6 pack of Billy Beer, and 4077th Mash beer. I'm pretty sure they are still in the basement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom