Only one "All Purpose" handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After some careful consideration I am changing my answer from a Glock 19 to an S&W 66. One could have the most reliable auto in the world but it is only as good as the ammo.

Biker4Him

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had what I thought was the perfect one "all purpose" gun. A Kimber Ultra CDP. However; my wife decided she liked it, so now it's a Colt "Talo" Night Defender. !

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would still go with a commander size 1911. My choice would be either a Colt or a Kimber. ( I own both) and I like them both. I have a plastic gun, (M and P40c and its great also. But the 1911 has been around longer than any of the others.

ERIC FUSON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe a Wilson CQB 5" 45 acp would be my choice. I have fired over 100,000 rounds thru Wilson handguns and have found it to be the most reliable pistol i have owned. Every revolver i have owned has crapped out in less than half that time. Since the 1911 platform has been around for 100 years, parts availability is good and the are simple enough to work on with a little practice. I have taken a few whitetail with this set up with great success as well.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe a Wilson CQB 5" 45 acp would be my choice. I have fired over 100,000 rounds thru Wilson handguns and have found it to be the most reliable pistol i have owned. Every revolver i have owned has crapped out in less than half that time. Since the 1911 platform has been around for 100 years, parts availability is good and the are simple enough to work on with a little practice. I have taken a few whitetail with this set up with great success as well.

No fair,$3000 guns don't count.

fatmax987

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked up HK45 and put about 100 rounds thru it today. Possibly the best pistol i've ever shot. I love my Wilson SDS and colt model 70 (helped out by dr. Barry Greyson) but the lower recoil and excellent accuracy of this pistol is unbelievable. Add to that the best grip on a doublestack .45, da/sa capability, and an external manual safety. Can't say enough about this gun.

OkieTac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't believe no one chose a G18...all the benefits of a G19, but can also go thru a 33rd mag in a couple of seconds :-) Just don't try to limp-wrist it.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't bother to read this whole thread. I have a feeling I know what most of the posts said anyway.

My choice would be a S&W 617, 10 shot, 6 inch barrel. It won't breech armor, but I'm not into huntiing tanks, anyway.

It's only disadvantage is concealability and I could get around that if I had to.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna be different (gee, whoda thunk it) and say Colt SAA in .44-40. Why? I can mold my own bullets for it, and I can make my own gunpowder for it. And the caliber matches two of my rifles. For pure power, I would've picked .45Colt for caliber, but I don't have any matching rifles.
Yes, I could mold bullets for 9mm, or .40, but most of them won't do good with homemade gunpowder. Although I have seen some video of some Cowboy Action Shooters using black powder in their 1911's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom