Outdoor vs garage below-ground storm shelters???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
as a tornado survivor and experiencer. below ground and away from any structure that can be on top of you. be aware that the debris can be moved a long ways. away from any propane or gas lines tanks etc. above ground is ok as a second choice but put the door faces away from the south and west. keep a modified high lift jack inside and in good working order so you can lift or push your way out.

Ours faces east. The door opens inward. It has 3 heavy gauge steel beams to secure the door.

When Gary England tells me to "get under ground now!" because the tornado is sucking up the blacktop from the highway, I tend to listen to him.

Whatever works for you... I tend to listen to engineers who test shelters for shelter advice rather than weather forecasters. I was a weather forecaster in a former life...but I don't know s**t about shelters. So I sought out shelter experts...and they generally say all options are viable as long as they're properly built and installed.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When Gary England tells me to "get under ground now!" because the tornado is sucking up the blacktop from the highway, I tend to listen to him.

This 8 person was installed in the morning and our daughter's was done that afternoon. We paid for both.

View attachment 353316View attachment 353317View attachment 353318View attachment 353320View attachment 353321View attachment 353322

This 8 person was installed in the morning and our daughter's was done that afternoon. We paid for both.

View attachment 353316View attachment 353317View attachment 353318View attachment 353320View attachment 353321View attachment 353322
We have the exact shelter, Flatsafe out of Yukon?. Had it installed last year between the second and third garage door. We don’t need to remove vehicles to get in it. That cost us an extra $250 but it was worth it.

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ours is going to be a standup walk in, in the hillside to the southwest with the door facing the northeast and when I get the hill side cutout to pour a driveway around the side of our garage, the hill side is big enough for it however I'm going to use the extra dirt which will be removed for the driveway to help cover it

Latest posts

Top Bottom