Peanut butter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I am gonna start prepping peanuts in 5 gal buckets. Peanut butter is very filling and has tons of protein. Also seems as though it shouldn't be to hard to make. Just some thought for food.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I am gonna start prepping peanuts in 5 gal buckets. Peanut butter is very filling and has tons of protein. Also seems as though it shouldn't be to hard to make. Just some thought for food.

Which goes bad first? The peanuts or the peanut butter?

If it is easy to make and doesn't spoil easily wouldn't it be more sensible to make it now before the need?
Rather than after when there may not be power? or the tools and other ingredients?

Dave

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I assumed that I could keep peanuts for quite some time once roasted. Sealed in mylar bags of course. But I could be wrong.

If I remember correctly the oils cause them to spoil fairly quickly. I remember seeing dehydrated peanut butter somewhere online.

Found the info.

Peanut butter powder will not store as long as wheat flour. Hermetically sealed in the absence of oxygen, plan on a storage life of 4-5 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. It should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures.

How to make it.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/550409-how-to-dehydrate-peanut-butter/

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plus you will need a special burr for your grinder. Peanuts (actually anything oily like peanuts) will gum up the burrs of your grinder faster than you can say "Opps, this isn't working out like I thought it would."

I've seen the powdered peanut butter but haven't tried it yet. The general consensus amongst the folks on SB is that it tastes better if you add a little oil to it when you mix it up ... I can see that.

All that said, I opened a jar of peanut butter (Jif) that was 2 years past the "best by" date and it was fine. Was stored in a cool, dark room ... I'm wishing I'd left it to try out next year but I really, really, really wanted peanut butter toast for breakfast and that was our last jar ... :lookaroun

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck keeping it at 70F here in OK if we have any kind of power outage.

Unless of course you've a bunker deep enough that it will stay pretty much uniform temp year round.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck keeping it at 70F here in OK if we have any kind of power outage.

Unless of course you've a bunker deep enough that it will stay pretty much uniform temp year round.
That's why our (great-)grandparents had root cellars. You don't have to get very far underground to be able to maintain a reasonable temperature, even with our hot/dry summers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom