Peanut butter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mre pb rocks!!!
It's pretty tasty. I bought a case of pb and crackers from tore down mre's from sportsmans guide. And I buy those big 5lb jars of Peter Pan at SAMs and like BB have eaten some several years past the best by date with no issues.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's pretty tasty. I bought a case of pb and crackers from tore down mre's from sportsmans guide. And I buy those big 5lb jars of Peter Pan at SAMs and like BB have eaten some several years past the best by date with no issues.

Isn't it interesting that those "best by dates" are mostly "best if SOLD by", but rarely "best if CONSUMED by".

Dave

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why our (great-)grandparents had root cellars. You don't have to get very far underground to be able to maintain a reasonable temperature, even with our hot/dry summers.

Even apartment/city dwellers can take advantage of the same principles as our relatives' root cellars. It is amazing how much cooler it is in a bedroom closet than in the rest of the house. The trick is to remember what you have stored in the closet.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mre pb rocks!!!

I had a bunch of MRE PB packs that I know were at least 14 years old when I finally threw them out this summer. The oil had separated but the ones I opened smelled fine. Kinda nasty but probably would have been fine to eat.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MMMMMM, let me remember.....

MRE peanut butter+MRE Crackers(crushed up)+MRE Cocoa Mix= No Bake cookies in the field. Yahooooooo.......

Dave

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even apartment/city dwellers can take advantage of the same principles as our relatives' root cellars. It is amazing how much cooler it is in a bedroom closet than in the rest of the house. The trick is to remember what you have stored in the closet.

Yeppers, also if you have a crawl space under your house try getting in that thing during the hottest day of the summer and the coldest day of the winter. It actually is fairly regulated.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
instead of using a grinder use a blender to make the PB and the all natural PB will seperate from the oil after a lot of storage all u have to do is mix it back in and all will be good.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeppers, also if you have a crawl space under your house try getting in that thing during the hottest day of the summer and the coldest day of the winter. It actually is fairly regulated.

I have crawled thru some nasty stuff in my time, but the chances of me getting in my crawl space are about zero.

I don't know if it is because of the various spiders that lurk in there (i'm sure one of them is the rare 8 foot tall carnivorous type) or all the bodies that I have buried there over the years.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom