Pending Dodge Maintenance is Depressing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing I think most of you are missing, is the fact that the entire intake has to be removed to reach the other 8 plugs. The 5.7 hemi has 16 plugs. 8 in the valve cover and 8 under the intake. It is a royal pita to change all 16. He will need more than just a basic tool set to do the entire job properly.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the hemi motor is the problem. location of at least one of the plugs requires, I believe, partial removal of one of the engine mounts to get to it. I understand your issues I too have the hemi and while I love my truck I hate the cost of maintenance on it. if you were in okc I could suggest a shop for you but BA is an unknown to me. hope you find a good one.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Changing plugs every 30K is so 1970.
That was my question--what kind of garbage ignition system is Dodge running that it needs a plug change at 30K miles?

If you can afford $500 to have the Dodge shop replace your plugs, you have enough money to buy more tools and plugs than you need for the job. For less than $500 I bought a full set of coils and NGK Iridium plugs, plus a 1/4"-drive socket set and a "flexible" 8mm socket to replace the plugs on my Lincoln. Even if I'd had to buy some anti-seize, a 3/8"-drive ratchet, extensions, and spark plug socket, I'd still have been well under $500. The torque wrench might've bumped it over, but, oh well.

Stop griping, man up, and do the damn job.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing I think most of you are missing, is the fact that the entire intake has to be removed to reach the other 8 plugs. The 5.7 hemi has 16 plugs. 8 in the valve cover and 8 under the intake. It is a royal pita to change all 16. He will need more than just a basic tool set to do the entire job properly.
$500 will buy a lot of tools, plus a subscription to AllDataDIY to get the procedures (if they're not already available out there for free). If you're not mechanically inclined, yeah, I can see that being a problem, but I'd sure as heck be scouring the Ram forums looking into it.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it needs plugs at 30k, something is Wrong.

If ya decide to do it yourself, just take your handy dandy phone, or camera and take lots of pics of anything you have to move, unhook, or disassemble and when you get ready to put it back together, just refer to your pic stash!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have time and an internet connection, you can do the job. I tend to have basic maintenance done buy someone, just because by the time I prep for the job and remove the waste, it's more hassle than it's worth. When it's complex maintenance that shops like to charge a lot for, I DIY. For instance, quotes to to replace the struts on my WRX ran from $1200-1600. Ridiculous. I went on the NASIOC forum and got the scoop (and the pic) on DIY. It also gave me the pros and cons on the various strut brands. I ordered the struts from shockwarehouse.com and got better than OEM quality for less than OEM. Then I went down to Advance Auto Parts and checked out the specialty tools necessary to do the job. They will loan you the tools even if you don't get the parts from them. I took my time and did the fronts one day and the rears the next. Long story short, I did the job for about $550, knew it was done right and saved a lot of $$$ in the process.

Another vote for DIY here.

HKP7M13

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can say I do my own repairs if I can. no paint or body work. I work at a heavy truck repair shop so I have access to big hammers and cutting equipment. I am in Tulsa and can recomend a person to do the work if you want. I too feel that there is a lack of skilled people in the work force and many of the younger people have not grown up working on thier cars as I did. In my day you built up the motor now you soup up the sterio.
call KC Auto Repair 918-834-0665 ask for steve. he will do a proper job. As for the cost check with him. I have a challenger with the Hemi so in 5000 more miles I get to do the plug change also. My wife drove a dodge mini van some years back and total time to change 6 plugs was 4 hours. the front three in 2 min. 2 rear plugs can only get from under and behind the motor and the last one took a special cut down socket and remove the alternator and working by feel.
working on todays engines is more of a PITA put like some others have said You tube has a video on most every repair you would want to do.

good luck
John

Latest posts

Top Bottom