Pending Dodge Maintenance is Depressing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes leave them in there for 100,000 miles and see what happens when you try and get them out.
Bad info here people...Remove them plugs at 25,000 miles and inspect them or 30,000 whatever but not 100,000

Take them out early and these plugs will come out without breaking..
Plugs will last a long time but as the gap increases misfires will also increase...You can see this on the porcelain of the plug next to the steel body of the plug..it will look like tiny pencil lines...Even if gap does not increase you can still have tiny misfires with your plugs with some age on them.

My buddy has a new ford truck 30,000 miles i warned him of the plugs being hard to remove if left in too long..When he got back to TX he replaced them and thanked me for the advice...said these were hard to remove but they did come out no issues...
Leave them in for 100,000 and you are asking for it...

The old style copper plugs will last a long long time if kept clean and gaped right.
I did a test on my 82 ford mustang..kept the original motor craft plugs for the entire life of that car..
cleaned and gaped every 10,000 miles or so....376,000 miles when i removed engine and trans and gave it to a buddy still ran great
the car fell apart around it...the day i pulled it, it got 27mpg just like day one...200ci inline 6.

You do not need magnetic sockets..a small section of 3/8 rubber hose will work fine or a few other sizes..
Just push the hose into the plug hole and push it onto the plug and walla!

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I worked as a Mitsubishi tech, about half the cars sold had Chrysler power plants, and about 90% of the cars serviced had Chrysler power plants. Ever wonder why Chrysler needed a bail out? They suck, and should have died an ugly bankrupt death already.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The old style copper plugs will last a long long time if kept clean and gaped right.
I changed the original factory plugs (double platinum) on my '89 T-Bird SC at 75K miles (this would have been in '93). The things looked damn near new, and were still gapped well within spec; the factory double-platinums in my Lincoln had over 90K miles on them and were also clean and well within the gap range when I replaced them. They've not made the copper plug that will go that long, particularly given the high-energy ignition systems in modern cars.

chodrick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hemi plugs on each cylinder are right beside each other. There is no intake removal, even if there was it would take about 15 minutes. Takes about an hour and a half to replace the plugs, all of them. I work at a dealer and we do a few sets a week. The oe plugs are a little pricey but you could just get them at the local parts store, get the Champion or NGK oe replacement, whichever the owners manual calls for. Not a hard job to do except for leaning over the radiator support for an hour.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing I think most of you are missing, is the fact that the entire intake has to be removed to reach the other 8 plugs. The 5.7 hemi has 16 plugs. 8 in the valve cover and 8 under the intake. It is a royal pita to change all 16. He will need more than just a basic tool set to do the entire job properly.

What's your source for this?? I've got a Chrysler product with the 5.7L V8 Hemi and belong to two different MOPAR forums and have never heard you have to take off the intake manifold to get to 8 of the plugs! I've never seen an engine with 8 spark plugs in a valve cover, either - they usually have to be in the cylinder heads (where the combustion chambers are) in order to work properly.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never seen an engine with 8 spark plugs in a valve cover

He probably means through the valve cover. There are several engines that require you to remove the plugs to remove the valve cover. I had an Intrepid where those gaskets went before the outer gasket did. Discovered it during the routine plug check after I noticed that I drained 1.5qts less than expected.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On my previous ram, 2007, when I hit 30k I had the plugs changed at my dealership, cost me $160 with a oil change, and yes all 16 plugs were changed.

The 5.7 hemi runs a hot plug, run champion and change them at 30k.

Latest posts

Top Bottom