Permit holder robbed with own gun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok..Im curious..just what is the purpose of open carry if someone is thrown into a confrontational situation not of their choosing?

The purpose of open carry is just like concealed carry, to be able to carry a firearm for self-defense. Some people are more comfortable carrying concealed, some will prefer open. How one chooses to react to any situation will depend upon that person.

When the firearm leaves the holster, the only thing that matters is did you have a reasonable belief that your life or that of a family member was in danger of loss of life or great bodily harm. The method of carry is irrelevant.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Real life isn't anything like the old west gunfights on TV. Open carry for everyday self defense is a dinosaur that should be relegated to our past. If your out hiking, camping or horseback riding where the wild things roam then open carry would be appropriate. If your going to WalMart to pickup a case of Coors and a box of rubbers open carry isn't necessary. Just cause something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea.

And the old west isn't anything like the old west gunfights on TV either. So why is it that open carry is good for protection from the bad things in the wild but not from the bad things that roam our streets and neighborhoods?

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Double pepperoni pizza and smoking are both allowed and should be; It doesn't mean that consuming either is a good idea.............

Michael Brown

I take the GRAVEST OFFENSE at your suggestion that double pepperoni pizza may not be a good idea! Double pepperoni is ALWAYS a good idea, sir! And if you continue to take this flippant and un-American tone, I shall have to ask you to step outside and engage in the manly art of fisticuffs, Marquis of Queensbury rules!

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well as a CCW holder I'd expect this would be a common tactic of a BG in my mind.

I have on my list of "to dos" is attending a Close Quarters Combat class. Someone that brandishes too soon gives me a chance for cover and if they're acting strange I'll be looking to be around such cover.

I'd say the smart BG is going to pass you a step and come up fast behind you or they'll go for you when then can close in one move. Can I draw? Maybe, but a few good moves can go a long way of you coming out a winner.

Long distance shooting is fine but close quarters is more likely in my world. JMO

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a serious note, why did police go from carrying concealed in a pocket in the early 1900's (with some REALLY cool revolvers, I might add) to almost every department in America carrying openly by 1920 if there wasn't a tactical advantage to it? I think like Doc Holliday said, there are advantages that you gain and some that you lose by carrying concealed or open carrying. I think being AWARE of those disadvantages and TRAINING to eliminate the possibility of someone using that disadvantage against you is the key here. I don't think open carry is a bad idea. I think carrying a gun with just the permit and no further training and very little shooting practice is a bad idea, concealed OR open.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a serious note, why did police go from carrying concealed in a pocket in the early 1900's (with some REALLY cool revolvers, I might add) to almost every department in America carrying openly by 1920 if there wasn't a tactical advantage to it?

Because they were already identifiable by their uniform. Because of their uniform, everyone knew they had a gun so there is no purpose in concealing it.

When data analysis via the Officers Killed Summary revealed that a substantial number of officers killed were murdered with their own weapons, retention training and retention holsters became the norm.

If you do choose to carry openly, I highly recommend both intensive (not extensive) retention training and an active retention holster i.e. ALS, SLS, or thumb-break (if you absolutely have no other choice). I do not suggest the SERPA despite it's proliferation.

I think you will find that once you start using one of these that any tactical advantage of an openly-carried holster goes away, with the possible exception of the ALS.

YMMV as there will be exceptions for extremely rural area, farming etc where you are not likely to have to intereact with someone at near touching distance.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom