Permit holder robbed with own gun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok..Im curious..just what is the purpose of open carry if someone is thrown into a confrontational situation not of their choosing?

The same purpose of speaking your mind or opinion when someone else around may not agree and decide to take issue with it.

Same rights, aren't they? 1st/2nd, what's the difference? Should we muzzle ourselves just because some dunderhead might not like what we say?

O

oklacowboy

The same purpose of speaking your mind or opinion when someone else around may not agree and decide to take issue with it.

Same rights, aren't they? 1st/2nd, what's the difference? Should we muzzle ourselves just because some dunderhead might not like what we say?
I agree 100%.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Well you are misunderstanding me...Can you defend yourself better open carry VS. concealed?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should I have to demonstrate why one method is "better" than the other for any particular situation? Or is it a right to be utilized as I see fit, within the bounds of the law?

Should you only be allowed to speak your mind in English, or is Spanish ok, too? Is it considered looking for trouble if you speak your mind openly, or only in a manner that doesn't offend someone else's sensibilities, if it's the truth or a matter of opinion?

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GlockCop said:
Well you are misunderstanding me...Can you defend yourself better open carry VS. concealed?

That's a good question. But what type of situation? I would guess most could draw faster from open, but have the element of surprise when concealed. Does open make you a target, or make them think twice and walk away? I think no matter how you carry there is always that chance something goes wrong. I don't think either can be considered right or wrong.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should I have to demonstrate why one method is "better" than the other for any particular situation? Or is it a right to be utilized as I see fit, within the bounds of the law?

Should you only be allowed to speak your mind in English, or is Spanish ok, too? Is it considered looking for trouble if you speak your mind openly, or only in a manner that doesn't offend someone else's sensibilities, if it's the truth or a matter of opinion?

He's not arguing whether it should be allowed or not.

He's pointing out that the decision to do so has so many weaknesses that it's probably not well thought out by those who choose to do so.

Double pepperoni pizza and smoking are both allowed and should be; It doesn't mean that consuming either is a good idea.

The following sticky is decent primer on the comparison of the average CCW holder vs. the average criminal.

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?14459-The-Criminal-Paradigm

With that in mind, I'd offer that giving anyone foreknowledge that you're armed takes away an important advantage, that may in fact be your only advantage.

I don't care if anyone open carries or not but I do care if armed citizens are deluding themselves.

Michael Brown

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good question. But what type of situation? I would guess most could draw faster from open, but have the element of surprise when concealed. Does open make you a target, or make them think twice and walk away? I think no matter how you carry there is always that chance something goes wrong. I don't think either can be considered right or wrong.

Real life isn't anything like the old west gunfights on TV. Open carry for everyday self defense is a dinosaur that should be relegated to our past. If your out hiking, camping or horseback riding where the wild things roam then open carry would be appropriate. If your going to WalMart to pickup a case of Coors and a box of rubbers open carry isn't necessary. Just cause something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea.

D

Doc Holiday

Two thoughts before this discussion gets crazy.

I think most everyone here would agree that the OC law recently passed is a good thing, and it should be everyone's individual choice on how to proceed from there. To me, OC gives quicker access and projects a deterrent. CC holds the opportunity for massive, unexpected retaliation. Both have their merits, and it is up to each citizen to decide which is better for them.

Also I want to say to everyone, pertinent to the topic of this thread, stay vigilante, and watch out for a new breed of thug who robs people with a stun gun. This could be really bad news for anyone caught unaware while armed, regardless of physical condition.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The attacker doesn't have to figure out if you have a gun, he knows. That's a head start to him and divulging information that isn't very helpful to your case. Common sense sometimes is more useful than links to statistics.

Except for the fact that the lack of evidence to support this claim proves it doesn't happen like this. These scenarios that people portray as open carriers being the first ones shot, or assaulted for their firearm are not happening in other states or we would be hearing about it.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hrdware pushing the OC agenda like a boss.

I'm not against it, you're just so for it I cant help but wonder if you'd take part in one of the mainstreet OC marches.

I'm not pushing OC, merely trying to defend it from falsehoods and untruths. The fact is that neither myself or OKOCA think people "should" open carry. We think people should carry in the manner that best suits their needs. Whatever the situation may be, the choice is up to the individual. However we will support and encourage those who choose to open carry and try to educate people and debunk the myths that surround open carry.

That would depend upon the march. OKOCA is not planning any marches, but we will be planning litter clean ups, picnics and have already planned an open carry breakfast with a firearms friendly establishment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom