Phil Robertson suspended from DD for gay comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure he signed something somewhere that was the basis for him getting suspended. I don't watch the show, but the backlash on FB is amusing. I'd rather watch The History channel anyways.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw part of a set of interviews the entire family did recently. On some network tv morning show -- Today or GMA, I can't remember which one. It was painfully obvious that at least some of them are really tired of doing the tv show (a couple of wives in particular had difficulty being dipolmatic and their body language and facial expressions said so much more than what was coming out of their mouths).

I don't watch the show, either but from everything I've seen and heard, Phil is a man of principle. God giveth and God taketh away. His priorities are 1. God and 2. Family. A&E is a very distant third ... I think he will stick to his guns ...

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A&E ought to be able to silince him on their network. It's their game.

I want to see how sincere he is - will he apologize for hurting anyones feelings? Or will he say "I spoke the truth, let the chips fall where they may"?

One of the reasons we are at the point we are, is too many folks who have said what they thought, crawfished when the purse strings got pulled.

I've never watched the show, but I can appreciate a bunch of rednecks making millions for being rednecks.

A&E can silence him, and we can choose not to watch their programs. Neat huh?

Until they change their attitude, A&E Network is now a blocked channel in my home!

The Boycott A&E page on Twitter is over 1200 already. Have not heard anything on the other sites yet.

This demonstrates the 'lock' that the gay rights lobby has on the TV industry. A&E preemptively acted, just to keep the protesters at bay. Just imagine this. A&E is willing to kill off their golden goose, just to keep the gay lobby from attacking them. This is the TV/Hollywood situation today in a nutshell.

There has been several stories the last few years about the TV/Hollywood crowd being more then a little freaked out over DD success, especially when they tested and found out the most popular parts are the family values parts of the show. Seems a whole lot of people enjoy seeing a family sit down together for a meal.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think Phil will crawfish....at least I hope not. He seems to have the attitude that he does things his way, whether you like it or not. He made a fortune through the duck call company he founded, so it's not like he needs A&E's money. I think they stand to lose much, much more than he does.

Phil is a badass and could care less how people react to his convictions. He will not crawfish.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A&E sucks and frankly Duck Dynasty sucks as a show now too...they have become exaggerated caricatures of themselves. (I watched it in the early days but can't stand it anymore).

Phil has a right to his opinion and A&E has a right to hire and fire who they want. Phil Robertson will not be "destroyed" by this...if anything it will elevate his cult like following even higher. He'll be laughing all the way to the bank, again.

Yep. Sums it up for me.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am so sick of networks and news media forcing their opinions on the public.

Go Phil!!!I do watch the show,but it's not as good as it was. I admire him for speaking up for what he believes.

Agree with JB, best years are behind us. How sad.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If only the whole cast says screw you to AE

I'm sure he signed something somewhere that was the basis for him getting suspended. I don't watch the show, but the backlash on FB is amusing. I'd rather watch The History channel anyways.

This. I'm sure they have contractual obligations....but History channel sucks these days too. So does Nat Geo, Discovery etc...

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boycotting for ostracizing someone for speaking his mind on a subject you agree with is NOT hypocritical. It is simply saying, "I am not going to give my money/time/support to a company that endorses values I do not agree with." - in this case the punishment of a man who is speaking about his religious beliefs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. It is no different than refusing to patronize a business that does not support our 2nd Amendment rights. I am not saying they shouldn't have the right to hold their own opinion, just that I will lend my support (financial or otherwise) to companies that align with my philosophy. It's called free market capitalism.

If you don't want to get your cakes from a place that refuses to make cakes for gay couples getting married, that's your right. But forcing that company to make cakes for a customer/event that is against their core values is infringement on THEIR rights. If a Muslim extremist owns a donut shop and openly says he thinks all non-Muslims should be killed, or girls should not be allowed to go to school, or that wives should serve their husband hand and foot and be kept in a closet and I decide I don't want want patronize his donut shop, does that make me a hypocrite? Or speaking my own conscience with my dollar?

And FOR THE RECORD... the Christian conservative movement supporting Chik-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby was NOT simply in response to them speaking their mind. It has been known for YEARS that BOTH of those businesses were Christian-founded companies and supported traditional Christian values, but the standing up in support of them in massive and overwhelming numbers was as a direct result of their being outlandishly and viciously attacked by those who were not tolerant of their views. Speak out, support, boycott, do whatever you want in support of a company that supports your values. That's capitalism and free speech, people.

And I don't believe Robertson was saying homosexuality leads to bestiality... he was talking about turning a blind eye to things once considered morally wrong. It is a trend that things become more and more "tolerated"... not that being gay leads to sex with animals, but he is saying next it will be ok to endorse NAMBLA publicly, then other "fringe" groups like those for bestiality and other previously-taboo behaviors.

That's how I took it, personally.

I'm not attacking anyone, just clarifying... I don't think this is an attack on A&E and no one is saying that they (A&E) can't run their business the way they want. But people are speaking up and speaking out saying that Phil Robertson's right to hold and speak his own views is being squashed and he is being persecuted (legally, yes, but unfairly in some peoples' eyes) at the behest of a large gay & lesbian lobby.

How many of us jumped on Troy's ass for their blunder hiring the guy from Ruby Ridge? Should that be considered bigotry? Or were we unfairly expressing our disapproval of their business model and direction? Should we be forced to buy their products, or should we keep our mouths shut and let them run their business without speaking out and letting them know how we feel? Hell no... if you have strong feelings on an issue a company endorses, let them know about it. INCLUDING if they take and anti-gay stance and you feel strongly they shouldn't.

It's market pressure and it works both ways. Nothing wrong with that. THAT is true tolerance people... respecting and allowing the views of people endorsing viewpoints in opposition with your own. Robertson clarified that he loves all people and wouldn't treat anyone differently, regardless. Yet, simply HOLDING an opinion that something is wrong, even if you don't act any differently now is considered wrong.

What a world...

absolutely

Latest posts

Top Bottom