Pit bull Dogs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never seen an aggressive "pit" (all the dogs that people put in that catchall category). It's weird. They're not my favorite dog, though I do like them, but I've never seen an aggressive one. I've seen some same-sex dog aggression in them but that's a different ballgame. Most of them I've met are really goofy and actually kinda lazy for a supposedly high energy dog.

Of the "scary breeds) I'm more of a fan of GSDs, rotts & dobermans (I have a male dobe pup now) and other such dogs and admittedly I've seen more human aggression in those breeds (granted, all 100% caused by how they were raised...or not raised) and they are more rare than "pits". It's just so happened that I've never meet a pit that was untrustworthy around people.

My next dog in about 1.5-2 years (sister for the doberboy) will be a random shelter mutt. From what's in shelters, there's a good chance it'll be a "pit" of some kind. We're not picking a type. We're going in and finding the mutt that speaks to us.

For what is worth, all my dogs from this point out will be puppies or old dying dog that I might foster. I've had some bad experience with adult rescue dogs. I know issues from neglect and abuse can be corrected most times, but I'm not skilled enough to do it. I trust dogs I've known since puppyhood and know it's been treated right and socialized 1000% more than a 2 year old from the streets. Props to all you guys that work with them, tho. I had a foster that I wanted to be a rescue that had to go back to the rescue because of extreme human aggression (as in, no trainer would work with him without being muzzzled for months...trainers that don't like to use muzzles at that). He was a police pick-up stray. He'd clearly had some damage done to him.

I don't distrust any breed. I distrust any DOG that's been neglected and/or abused until they prove themselves now. It was a rare experience, but it's certainly steered me to puppies from here on out. Or maybe a dog that's been fostered or is at a rescue because owners gave it up or died. No more young adult strays or abuse/negelct cases for me. Props to all you guys who do take such dogs, tho. They need love and homes too. More than any dogs.

With all the dogs we have worked with over the years I have had no more problems with pits then any others. In fact I have been bitten more by yippee drop kick dogs then I have larger "evil" breeds.

Large aggressive dogs get killed, kept separate from people, or training. People think small dogs who exhibit unacceptable behavior are cute so they don't correct it. Until they get someone on the face.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which is one in the same. There is no Pit Bull breed, they are all lumped together.... including Staffs. Same difference, especially in the eyes of the media and fear-minded public.

http://www.vetstreet.com/dogs/american-staffordshire-terrier-american-pit-bull-terrier

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if the naysayers would distinguish between breeds and mixes in reporting incidencts but that would require logic.

No....staffordshire bull terriers and american staffordshires are COMPLETELY different in both size and confirmation. Nobody has any clue what kind of dog mine is, she's only about 20 lbs.

There is a pit bull breed, it's apbt which you just posted a link to, that is their registered breed name.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No....staffordshire bull terriers and american staffordshires are COMPLETELY different in both size and confirmation. Nobody has any clue what kind of dog mine is, she's only about 20 lbs.

There is a pit bull breed, it's apbt which you just posted a link to, that is their registered breed name.

You can argue semantics all you like, but it seems you're wrong in the eyes of the majority. Again, it certainly doesn't matter in the eyes of the media or general public. It also doesn't matter as if there's any significant difference in disposition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Wikipedia said:
Pit bull is the common name for a type of dog. Formal breeds often considered in North America to be of the pit bull type include the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.[1] The American Bulldog and the Bull Terrier (standard and miniature) are also sometimes included.
Whether you believe Wikipedia or not, it matches what I've heard from other dog owners, including people who own American Staffordshire Terriers.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, here's what "Love-A-Bull" has to say:
Love-A-Bull said:
Love-A-Bull considers the following breeds, and dogs that are mixes of these breeds, to be “pit bulls” or “pit bull mixes”: American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
http://love-a-bull.org/resources/faq/
...and their mission is to "to educate and to advocate on behalf of the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (all breeds commonly referred to as “pit bulls”) and pit bull mixes."

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whether you believe Wikipedia or not, it matches what I've heard from other dog owners, including people who own American Staffordshire Terriers.

That has nothing to do with the subject at hand. They are bull dogs, people who call any bull dog a pit bull is incorrect, it's a misnomer like crescent wrench or kleenex. It makes no difference how many people do it, that doesn't make it any less incorrect.

You can argue semantics all you like, but it seems you're wrong in the eyes of the majority. Again, it certainly doesn't matter in the eyes of the media or general public. It also doesn't matter as if there's any significant difference in disposition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

It does matter there is a significant difference in confirmation, which I assume is what you were trying to say. Because staffordshire bull terriers are not anywhere close to an american staffordshire. This isn't a word game like drahthaar and german wirehaired pointer, they are completely different. Again, it doesn't matter what the masses believe, because they also all think that their temperament depends solely on how you raise them and that abraham lincoln freed the slaves out of moral obligation.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, here's what "Love-A-Bull" has to say:

...and their mission is to "to educate and to advocate on behalf of the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (all breeds commonly referred to as “pit bulls”) and pit bull mixes."

See the part where they call them bull dogs and put pit bull in quotes? thanks for helping me with my point.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was mauled by a dog when I was 5 and it wasnt any breed that's been mentioned in this thread - or any related type thread I ever read. over 100 stiches in my face/neck and almost got my carotid artery.
It was a Britney Spaniel bird dog. I respect all dog breeds.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with the subject at hand. They are bull dogs, people who call any bull dog a pit bull is incorrect, it's a misnomer like crescent wrench or kleenex. It makes no difference how many people do it, that doesn't make it any less incorrect.

It has everything to do with the subject at hand. This thread was made in response to the many posts and threads we've had on OSA bashing what are commonly known as "pit bulls" by the public and the media. The term "pit bull" is used to describe basically any short-haired dog with certain physical characteristics, regardless of size.

The point of this thread, and the point of GMT, is actually the same as your point. You're just too caught up in yourself to see it. Most of this thread is tougue-in-cheek.

Good for you for knowing your breed history. However, if the Tulsa world or KOTV writes a story about almost any 20-100lb short haired dog that's not a toy breed or a gun dog, it's a pit bull.

If a reporter wrote about your dog, your dog would be referred to as a pit bull. 60lb Am Staff? Pit bull.

You're literally arguing with people who have been making the same point you're making and are annoyed by the same thing you're annoyed by. Unreal.

A good many of the dogs here: http://www.pickthepit.com/

would be called pit bulls in the news. Only one is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom