Pizza? How do you like it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish they would put one in Shawnee. We have a dozen or so pizza joints and none of them are very good.

My all time favorite pizza is a thin and crispy crust loaded with pepperoni but I like others now and then.

As far as Chicago style pizza goes, I've had pizza in Chicago a few times. The deep dish pizza is what most people think of but I prefer the thin crust pizza they serve there.

When I was a teenager there was a family from Chicago that moved here and opened up a pizza place called 'A Touch of Italy' in Tecumseh at the old Ruby Dee's drive in location. (Let's see if anyone rembers that). They made the thin crust style pizza found in Chicago and it was round but cut in squares.

As a 15 year old with a huge appetite, I ate a lot of their pizza and I even worked there for awhile doing prep and washing dishes. Eventually they let me start making pizzas once in awhile and sometimes people would request that I make theirs when they ordered.

They became so popular that they added pasta dishes and steaks to the menu and it was by far the best pizza and Italian food I ever had.

They outgrew that placed and moved to a new location in Shawnee. Unfortunately the husband passed away suddenly and even though his wife and son carried on for a while, they ended up closing.

Marcos is probably my favorite pizza place in Shawnee.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up with the fat sourdough I don't like or the flat crunchy shingle style I do like.

Then I was on vacation in Chicago and tried their deep dish and fell in love! It was pizza heaven.

My second favorite is the Tulsa Hurricane from Hideaway's.

The Hurricane: Hideaway red sauce, cheddar, mozzarella, bacon, Canadian bacon, green bell pepper, jalapeño, and pineapple.

Try it with the BBQ sauce for true pizza nirvana.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe the issue is the pizza itself. To me the "Chicago" style pizza is this, and I don't recall anything like this in Oklahoma, wide spread enough to say that Oklahoman's prefer Chicago style.

that real Chicago deep dish stuff is A treat but I will second the fact that there just doesn’t seem to be any places that make it — I’m in Norman. The family that had the NY Deli on Campus Corner also spun off Sandro’s Pizza, which Sandro sold and now operates Jet Pizza in Moore.

Great NY style pizza - and we’ve already mentioned Empire Slice, which is NY style, but I don’t know how to categorize most of the large chain pizza places that dominate the market - Mazzio’s, Pizza Hut, etc etc

i guess it’s just generic American stuff your face pizza, because as delicious as Jet Pizza’s NY stuff is , I would bet the mazzio’s’s across the highway sells 20 to 1 more mediocre pies than Jet does

And I’m not trying to be a snob because there is definitely a place for cheap pizza.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that real Chicago deep dish stuff is A treat but I will second the fact that there just doesn’t seem to be any places that make it — I’m in Norman. The family that had the NY Deli on Campus Corner also spun off Sandro’s Pizza, which Sandro sold and now operates Jet Pizza in Moore.

Great NY style pizza - and we’ve already mentioned Empire Slice, which is NY style, but I don’t know how to categorize most of the large chain pizza places that dominate the market - Mazzio’s, Pizza Hut, etc etc

i guess it’s just generic American stuff your face pizza, because as delicious as Jet Pizza’s NY stuff is , I would bet the mazzio’s’s across the highway sells 20 to 1 more mediocre pies than Jet does

And I’m not trying to be a snob because there is definitely a place for cheap pizza.
One more time....

Savastano's in Tulsa. Thank me later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom