Pizza? How do you like it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe the issue is the pizza itself. To me the "Chicago" style pizza is this, and I don't recall anything like this in Oklahoma, wide spread enough to say that Oklahoman's prefer Chicago style.
View attachment 447372

This is how the guy I was talking about made his. It was incredible! And a large was the size of a tire on an 18 wheeler. I hope he made it big in Norman, but I doubt that he did.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a pizza place in Norman called Notorious P.I.E that the wife and I LOVED to go to. Their crust was an awesome sourdough thin crust. Unlike a lot of thin crust pizzas, it wasn't like you were eating a cracker with pizza toppings. It actually had flavor and a good texture (although gave your jaws a workout). We typically stick with just pepperoni pizza for the most part and we were always really happy with theirs. They also had the best mozzarella sticks in the state.

Unfortunately, while they did survive Covid, it was just barely. I think it was only about a year or so after everything opened back up fully that they went tits up. I still sorely miss that place.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We have an Eagle One in my home town. They get a lot of my money.
I wish they would put one in Shawnee. We have a dozen or so pizza joints and none of them are very good.

My all time favorite pizza is a thin and crispy crust loaded with pepperoni but I like others now and then.

As far as Chicago style pizza goes, I've had pizza in Chicago a few times. The deep dish pizza is what most people think of but I prefer the thin crust pizza they serve there.

When I was a teenager there was a family from Chicago that moved here and opened up a pizza place called 'A Touch of Italy' in Tecumseh at the old Ruby Dee's drive in location. (Let's see if anyone rembers that). They made the thin crust style pizza found in Chicago and it was round but cut in squares.

As a 15 year old with a huge appetite, I ate a lot of their pizza and I even worked there for awhile doing prep and washing dishes. Eventually they let me start making pizzas once in awhile and sometimes people would request that I make theirs when they ordered.

They became so popular that they added pasta dishes and steaks to the menu and it was by far the best pizza and Italian food I ever had.

They outgrew that placed and moved to a new location in Shawnee. Unfortunately the husband passed away suddenly and even though his wife and son carried on for a while, they ended up closing.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I call BS, OR and WA are NW style. Similar to California style, but more authentic Italian with local and artisan ingredients and sourdough crust. NY style was almost non existant except for a handful of places .

Latest posts

Top Bottom