Plumbing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like the best place to put this question. Crap like this is why I hate old houses. Cold water line bathroom sink. Been like this for at least 12 years no leaks.
it looks like someone just stuck a butyl line in the copper supply line coming out of the slab? It’s at least 4-5” inches down into the copper and isn’t leaking at all. How it isn’t I Have no idea . many reason I should yank this sucker out and sweat a pex connection into the copper?
03F72C97-1526-4979-85DF-BF48B77A9711.jpeg
03F72C97-1526-4979-85DF-BF48B77A9711.jpeg

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Looks to me like someone re-piped the house and that was easier to do than busting out concrete. If it is not leaking it prolly won't . I would cut some foam, rubber or cork and wedge it between the copper and pex just to be double sure. But the Pex is strong and if it is not moving or getting bumped it would prolly never be an issue.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The black pipe stuff around the line is to protect the line where it comes through the concrete slab (assuming you have concrete).

Is that your concern, or did I misunderstand the question?
It’s the line going into the copper that I’m wondering about.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks to me like someone re-piped the house and that was easier to do than busting out concrete. If it is not leaking it prolly won't . I would cut some foam, rubber or cork and wedge it between the copper and pex just to be double sure. But the Pex is strong and if it is not moving or getting bumped it would prolly never be an issue.
That’s not pex though it’s that thin gray line that’s normally used from shutoff to the faucet. Also, no other lines in the house are re plumbed. Every where else it’s copper.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That’s not pex though it’s that thin gray line that’s normally used from shutoff to the faucet. Also, no other lines in the house are re plumbed. Every where else it’s copper.

Wow!! Did they at least seal it in LOL. Not sure how that has not blown back out of there.
If that stays accessible and you do try and repair Shark bite fittings have really had the problems worked out of them and you could get a shark bite shutt off and have that fixed pretty easy
https://images.homedepot-static.com...bite-shut-off-valves-23036-0000lf-64_1000.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, no other lines in the house are re plumbed. Every where else it’s copper.
I seriously doubt you can see all the other lines.

Joints are (hopefully) never put in or below the slab. They run the copper lines up above the slab to make connections (so they're repairable), and they're generally inside walls. Ours (built in '76) are all inside the walls, even those under the sink cabinets.

I suspect that line was put in between the sink and one of those in-wall junctions.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom