Plumbing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Gunbuffer: Please read my last post. Some of these suggestions will create havoc if that copper line has a leak.
10-4. There’s just no place where I have seen a grey line hook up to a copper supply line.
I used to make a living fixing other people’s f ups so my desire to make for a nice OCD friendly under sink vanity was strong. Also don’t like butylplastic compression fittings on both sides of a shutoff valve.
I have a feeling what happened is that copper stub got damaged or cut too short so someone ran that gray line to the nearby toilet on the same wall

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What’s the other hole in the concrete next to it for?

This is the question I have. All the possibilities have been laid out. Did you find the other end of that line under another sink or water location? I’ve never tried to run a line like that through a copper pipe. I would assume it would be a *****. Just usually pex through the attic and down like running wires for surround sound.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s possible that they had a slab leak and repiped it using the copper as a conduit. Do you know where the manifold is? If so, check it to see if there is a poly pipe connected to it somewhere. Any obvious drywall/ plaster repairs nearby that would indicate that the tied into plumbing there?
it was all copper in slab til I saw this. No idea on hole
What’s the other hole in the concrete next to it for?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
10-4. There’s just no place where I have seen a grey line hook up to a copper supply line.
I used to make a living fixing other people’s f ups so my desire to make for a nice OCD friendly under sink vanity was strong. Also don’t like butylplastic compression fittings on both sides of a shutoff valve.
I have a feeling what happened is that copper stub got damaged or cut too short so someone ran that gray line to the nearby toilet on the same wall

They wouldn’t have messed with it if the copper was good. There’s plenty there to connect to. It would just be a 1/2” compression to 3/8” and working like usual.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the question I have. All the possibilities have been laid out. Did you find the other end of that line under another sink or water location? I’ve never tried to run a line like that through a copper pipe. I would assume it would be a *****. Just usually pex through the attic and down like running wires for surround sound.
Pex I know. I looked and that holes smaller than it looks and it’s the sill of the wall and the “hole” is just a bolt or power load nail affixing sill to slab

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They wouldn’t have messed with it if the copper was good. There’s plenty there to connect to. It would just be a 1/2” compression to 3/8” and working like usual.
I know. It has to be one of those “ I’m a plumber but I effed up and better fix this cheap and get paid”
Anyway. All good. If it lasted since we bought this place it’ll last longer.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quite possible. But don't forget the plumbing for a nearby bathtub, ice-maker, or water heater, that may be on the other side of the wall (or even in a different wall). ;)

Hope it holds forever. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom