Plz school me on J frames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosterk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another point of interest that hasn't been mentioned is that the J frames with a regular hammer, like the 37 or 637 are known as "Chief's Specials", the shrouded hammer models, like the 638 are the "Bodyguard", and the DA only models like the 642, etc. are the "Centenial".
Maybe someone else can explain when these names came into use.
roosterk

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really have any info to add to the differences in J-frames that hasn't been covered, but I can vouch for the 642 as a really good gun for pocket carry. I recently got one and rarely leave home without it now. I really like that it is hammerless, so there is almost nothing that you can snag when drawing. I had to rearrange my pocket stuff to carry it there, though at times I'll carry it IWB. I have a clip on phone holder that keeps my front right pocket clear. You might invest in one of those if you want it in the pocket. As mentioned IWB is also an option and I've found it to be very easy to conceal that way. Also there are a number of decent, cheap pocket holsters that will stay in your pocket when you draw. I have a Desantis and Uncle Mike's that both work well. Both can be had for under $20.

Latest posts

Top Bottom