Po' folk food

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking someone must have tried Honey on cornbread.
Perfect desert after the beans and cornbread.

I make my cornbread from scratch and cook it in a round cast iron skillet in the oven.

The Goulash @caliberbob speaks of is also a good dish.

I eat Okra anyway you can make it.
Even raw.. I love it raw straight from the garden.

Take sliced okra, diced onions, cornmeal and flour, salt/pepper and other seasonings if you like and make "hush puppies" from it. Deep fried of course.
we take honey and butter and stir them together real good and then put that on cornbread. or pour cream over cornbread for a meal

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
One internet doctor I watched said, all these processed, and man made additvies in our foods, are causing more harm than the high fat diets of our anasestors? Even LARD was not as harmful as these fancy cooking oils, with a bunch of crap in them that hasn't been fully evaluated long term, yet! He has a new fan, even if he is wrong, it makes me feel better when I eat the GOOD STUFF!!

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife makes what she calls cowboy beans. She makes a big pot of pinto beans the normal way for one meal then the next day she browns some hamburger meat and throws it in along with a can of rotel, a package of taco seasoning, a package of ranch dressing mix and of course onions. She’s really good on cornbread too. I could eat it every day but she says I’m too hard to live with doing that so she limits me to a big pot every 10 days or so

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big pot of ham beans like you described.

I’ll often do a Cajun bean soup mixed with whatever leftovers/veggies are in the fridge.

Big pot of chili made with dried beans and home butchered lamb or venison

We make lots of rice dishes too… fried rice with whatever protein and veggies we have on hand. Etc

That’s one great thing about the USA is our access to food. Even being “poor” my family has never came close to being hungry…

I also find it ridiculous how many people with all their needs met are still considered so “poor”… “poor” as in can’t afford a $600k house, 2 $80k vehicles, and 2 family vacations a year… hmmm, nobody just wants to live simply anymore

I do. And I love it. I feel like I'm one of the richest people around living on my little piece of OK heaven. Then again I'm one of those extremists clinging to my guns and religion...and wife, and Corgis, and chickens, and goats. I have everything I need... Except that 66-1 I can't afford that just hit the Classifieds.

Dammit! Why am I so poor?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My wife makes what she calls cowboy beans. She makes a big pot of pinto beans the normal way for one meal then the next day she browns some hamburger meat and throws it in along with a can of rotel, a package of taco seasoning, a package of ranch dressing mix and of course onions. She’s really good on cornbread too. I could eat it every day but she says I’m too hard to live with doing that so she limits me to a big pot every 10 days or so
Ranch dressing mix in beans...that's a new one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom