Police Buyback Turns into Makeshift Gunshow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always wondered how they can buy something back that was never theirs to begin with. If I sell you a gun I could buy it back from you, but if you bought it from someone else how can I buy it back.

Murph

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a different viewpoint I saw this

http://dcxposed.com/2013/01/27/seattle-gun-buyback-gets-jacked-turns-into-a-damn-gun-show-lol

but I haven't heard of dcx so I can't make claims about their veracity.

Same place has this similar story about an LA buyback

http://dcxposed.com/2013/01/06/lapd-gun-buy-back-rocket-launchers-are-harmless-hollow-tubes-busted/

that also removed some 'dangerous' hollow tubes from fired single shot AT4 light anti-tank launchers from the streets of Los Angeles.

Another problem with these buy back programs is that police often offer a "no questions asked" amnesty policy. I don't know how legal it is for them to offer that, but I've seen that mentioned numerous times in gun by back articles. Did the article say if the police allowed themselves to ask about it?

Personally I think any amnesty program for gun buy backs is a horrible idea. Think how many crimes will go unresolved because criminals were able to ditch their weapons by simply turning them into the police.

My understanding was they use 'gift cards' as the 'reward' because the card usage could be tracked. But I can't find the article where I read that so I'm not %100???

By 11 a.m. Seattle police had collected 160 weapons, including three 12-gauge repeater shotguns, also known as “Street Sweepers,”[ooooh s, s, s, scaryeeeeeee. What no 'assault weapons'?] and an old rocket-launcher tube.

“I’d prefer they wouldn’t sell them,” [Seattle Chief of Police] Diaz said of the people in line making deals with the gun buyers. Translation: I prefer my cattle to be dehorned, makes them easier to control.

Mayor Mike McGinn said at a news conference the private transactions are a loophole that needs to be closed. “There’s no background check, and some (guns) could be exchanged on the streets that shouldn’t be in circulation.” Translation: I prefer my cattle to be dehorned, makes them easier to process

Mayor Mike also asserted that “A lot of gun deaths are due to accidents...

(2008-2010 accidental gun deaths nationwide =752 out of the 7,377,582 total deaths for those years. or %00.0102 or one hundred two ten thousandths of a percent, or approximately 1 death out of every 9,810 deaths nation wide.),

...or guns stolen from houses (anybody know a decent source for data on stolen guns?)...

...so it does make a difference,” he added.

Except the number of guns owned by U.S. citizens has no causal relation to the mortality rate in either size or frequency. In point of fact the only statement that we can factually make about the relationship between the number of firearms and the number of violent crimes is that more guns does not equal more violence.

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure it varies from event to event, but do they often even check the S/Ns? The linked article laughed at them saying they would:
On one last note of hilarity, the Seattle Police department claims that they will check the buyback guns to see if any were previously stolen and, if so, try to return them to the rightful owners! LOL. Brilliant!

Say I have a gun stolen; thief realizes that was dumb and decides to not pawn it, etc. because they might check the S/N with local law. So thief takes my firearm and gets a gift card (albeit much less than if he sold it on the street).
Just a paranoid thought...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom