Police Buyback Turns into Makeshift Gunshow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you go through an FFL it could get you in serious poo to do a person to person in any state you are nonresident. Just food for thought
I'm living in the area right now and had half a mind to go see what all was being turned in. Not being a resident kept me from withdrawing everything from the ATM and expanding my collection :-p

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its sad for me to see punks selling some of their family heirlooms for gift card. I'm sure their grandfather or father never thought this is what would happen to them when they left their guns to these kids.

^^^This!! I'd never give up the pricless (no monetary value) firearms that have been passed down to me.

My question is where did the $80k to pay for the gift cards come from? Okay thats rhetorical but still, I'd be pissed if my tax dollars were going to this kind of sham.

I'm sure all of the taxpayers in oklahoma would appreciate it if I bought every firearm I could afford while theives with stolen guns were waiting in line to cash em in. I think they oughta run a background check on everyone selling a firearm in a buyback program to see if they are a felon or have a warrant out on them.

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha, I love stories like this. Sticking it to the man FTW. The cops participating in this kind of BS should be ashamed of themselves. I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Market > Government

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's actually an earlier Redeye missile, minus the firing grip. I've fired both the Redeye & Stinger. :D

Apparently the Army says it's a stinger. Someone might be in some trouble...

http://www.policeone.com/community-...Stinger-missile-tube-at-buyback-investigated/

By Phuong Le
Associated Press

SEATTLE — Seattle police worked with Army officials Monday to track down the history of a nonfunctional missile launcher that showed up at a weapons buyback program and determine whether it was legal or possibly stolen from the military.

A man standing outside the event Saturday bought the military weapon for $100 from another person there, according to Detective Mark Jamieson.

Seattle Police Department Sgt. Paul Gracy holds an inert surface-to-air missile launcher brought to a gun buy back program run by the Seattle Police Department on Jan. 26.

The single-use device is a launch tube assembly for a Stinger portable surface-to-air missile and already had been used. As a controlled military item, it is not available to civilians through any surplus or disposal program offered by the government, according to Jamieson.

Seattle police have contacted Army officials at Joint Base Lewis-McChord near Tacoma deputy chief Nick Metz said Monday.

"Once it's brought on base and investigators have a chance to look at it, they'll see what they can determine," Army spokesman Joe Kubistek said Monday. "It's too early to give any information on it until we have hands-on access to see it and take a look at it."

Police witnessed the private exchange of the military launch tube near the gun buyback event, where gun buyers tempted those standing in long lines to turn in their weapons with cash.

"It was absolutely crazy what we saw out there," Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn said at a news conference Monday where officials announced they had collected a total of 716 weapons, including four confirmed as stolen.

Officers saw guns changing private hands without knowing whether the person buying the gun had the legal right to buy it, and those transactions are occurring all the time, McGinn said.

He added that the private sales of the missile launch tube and other weapons illustrate the need for comprehensive background checks as proposed by President Barack Obama, as well as other regulations at the state level.

While there were private gun buyers at the periphery of Saturday's event, Metz said a large majority of people chose to wait in line and get less money because they wanted to make sure they got the weapons off the streets.

"These are very dangerous weapons," Metz said. "They may not have looked very pretty, but (they're) definitely operable."

The firearms collected included 348 pistols, 364 rifles and three so-called street sweepers, or shotguns that include a high capacity magazine capable of holding twelve 12-gauge shotgun shells.

The program allowed people to anonymously turn in their weapons for a shopping gift card worth up to $200 — $100 for each handgun, rifle or shotgun turned in, and $200 for each gun classified as an assault weapon under state law. Officials distributed about $70,000 in gift cards at Saturday's event.

Police took possession of the launch tube Saturday. Police said the man who had purchased it agreed to accept a gift card as compensation if the launch tube is not returned to him, though the man indicated he wanted to keep it if he was legally able to do so.

McGinn said he wanted to plan another buyback event soon and urged more donations to the program.

Meanwhile, police said people who wanted to turn in guns could do so at any time outside a buyback program, though they wouldn't be compensated for it.

Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently the Army says it's a stinger. Someone might be in some trouble...

http://www.policeone.com/community-...Stinger-missile-tube-at-buyback-investigated/

Redeye on top, Stinger on the bottom (photo courtesy of the Washington Museum of Military Technology)

[Broken External Image]

Missile tube confiscated at the buyback, which is clearly a Redeye. I was a missile instructor in the Corps during the Redeye to Stinger transition period and supervised the firing of both types. Once again, the press has it wrong. :)

media.cmgdigital.com_shared_lt_lt_cache_thumbnail_400_img_phota1702da52c5e2a171cc6cbca95eac1b5.jpg

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My question is where did the $80k to pay for the gift cards come from? Okay thats rhetorical but still, I'd be pissed if my tax dollars were going to this kind of sham.

It's now in the back of my mind every time I buy something in Seattle proper. There are a lot of other endeavors the city could be spending that money on. "Sorry, homeless guy. We don't have any funds to increase the number of homeless shelters because we bought a bunch of worthless Saturday night specials."

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Redeye on top, Stinger on the bottom (photo courtesy of the Washington Museum of Military Technology)

[Broken External Image]

Missile tube confiscated at the buyback, which is clearly a Redeye. I was a missile instructor in the Corps during the Redeye to Stinger transition period and supervised the firing of both types. Once again, the press has it wrong. :)

media.cmgdigital.com_shared_lt_lt_cache_thumbnail_400_img_phota1702da52c5e2a171cc6cbca95eac1b5.jpg

Those pics make it obvious. I wasn't doubting you, just relaying information. I should choose better sources than the media apparently :doh:

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm. I wonder if one could paint a length of pipe army green, stensil some mumbo jumbo on there, and trade it to them for a gift card. Maybe in Seattle.

And you guys are all wrong. It's obviously a bazooka. See the sholder thing that goes up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom