Powder recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
along with those already listed you can ad 2400 for the 357 and WWauto comp for everything else....the 2400 does well in 38spl but havent tried it in 45....the auto comp is fairly new and doesnt have the following that the older powders do, so its easier to find and its excellent...

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hodgdon Universal is very similar to Unique. Meters a little better in my Dillons. It does leaves quite a bit of unburned residue at lower pressures.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of guys keep an 8lbs jug of Unique because with a little effort you can find a recipe for just about anything.

Also I'm hearing lots of findings of 700X & 800X which both will work in most handguns. A little dirty, but will work.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with MrCPA. The lighter color is fairly easy to see in cartridges when visually checking cartridges for powder throws. Meters well in Redding powder measures as well as the Dillion. If using MAX load(not endorsing) for 158 gr cast bullet 6.2 grains out of a 1lb of powder will get you 1129 rounds and start loads are 4.0 grains for same bullet. MAX for 45 Auto 230 gr LRN is 5.4 grains. I liked it so much I bought a 8lb keg back before powder rivaled chickens teeth. Please check your own load data as I am blind in one eye and can't see out the other;)

Craig3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive used power pistol in 45 & 9, Clays in 45, Win 231/HP38 in 9, 40, &45. Picked up some 700x which was told would work for 9mm. Hope that helps...
there is a shop on 51st street west of 169 that seems to always have some choices. Pop in there and tell them what you're looking for and they can normally suggest a couple they have in stock that will work. Also keep 3 or so load books right next to the powders.

Morpheus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote for wst easy to see because it's gray seemed to meter well in hornady lnl. I've used accutate 8 was a little dirty in 40 and smokyer as well with cast than wst. I'm wanting to find some solo1000 to try

Latest posts

Top Bottom