price gouging and sellers market.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing that really kills me are the guys who complained that Heartland sold pmags for 49.99 and limited them to two just so they wouldn't end up at the gun show, and we sold out! The store was bashed for "gouging" and people wrote that they would never be back. One even wrote that he would never shoot in a match again because we charged a "fee" to shoot "after hours." I guess he convinced our landlord and utility companies not to charge us after hours because they've all been back! We live in a ChinaMart world. You love free speech and free markets when they go your way. One vendor was asking and occasionally getting $225 for pmags this last gun show, and Heartland takes abuse so our stuff doesn't end up at a table that sounds like a mexican restaurant? I say again, those who call it gouging are the sore ones who can't afford to play in the market.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What legislation here is directly tampering with the firearms and related markets?

All I see here is irrational speculation.

It's not all speculation. Feinstein has announced that she is going to introduce the bill, she's listed the details of the bill on her site:

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub...eases?ID=28d0c499-28ec-42a7-902d-ebf318d46d02

The first wave of bills have already been introduced:

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/a...ntroduce-first-wave-of-bills-in-us-house.aspx

Sure there is some speculation mixed in with that, but it's not exactly like "maybe they'll try something". Biden talking about the fact that Obama can and might use executive orders, and Harry Reid's talk about the nuclear option (he delayed to later this month - so it's still on the table) are speculation, sure - but it's pretty clear based on their track record what they will do to get a bill/rule-change/regulation into action.

The thing that really kills me are the guys who complained that Heartland sold pmags for 49.99 and limited them to two just so they wouldn't end up at the gun show, and we sold out! The store was bashed for "gouging" and people wrote that they would never be back.
I say again, those who call it gouging are the sore ones who can't afford to play in the market.

I'm not against Heartland, but you can limit purchases without gouging. Bravo Company is doing it and so are a lot of other vendors.

This is what dictionary.com says about gouging:

Price gouging is a pejorative term for a seller pricing much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a felony that applies in some of the United States only during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. Non-pejorative uses are generally in reaction to what the writer believes is an unjustified restraint on the market.

Businesses are are free to charge what they want to charge, but their rights are no more important than the rights of folks who spread the word about how those businesses price-gouged during times like these. This informs those future patrons so they can exercise their rights to choose whether or not they want to do business with a company that price gouges in times like this.

That is in effect, the free market at work - informed consumers voting with their wallets. They stay informed on message boards like this one.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ezbake, the phrase "reasonable or fair" is the key. If people are willing to pay it, then it is fair, otherwise they would not pay it. True, a real market economy relies upon an informed consumer. It also relies upon their marginal utility for said item. Note that Heartland did place limits upon the pmags and still sold out. There is no gouging in a truly free market.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ezbake, the phrase "reasonable or fair" is the key. If people are willing to pay it, then it is fair, otherwise they would not pay it. True, a real market economy relies upon an informed consumer. It also relies upon their marginal utility for said item. Note that Heartland did place limits upon the pmags and still sold out. There is no gouging in a truly free market.

Understood man, but there also isn't a barrage of (illegal) legislation on the floor in the wake of an emotion-based fear campaign threatening to stop production/importation/transfer/possession of a good/service in a truly free market either.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understood man, but there also isn't a barrage of (illegal) legislation on the floor in the wake of an emotion-based fear campaign threatening to stop production/importation/transfer/possession of a good/service in a truly free market either.

Perception, correct or not, is also information. I am not a Keynesian nor a Monetarist, though both theories have valid points. I am a Rational Expectationist. We, this country, have not lived in a true laissez faire economy in quite some time...

webmogul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that most of the "gouging" isn't really that. Supply and demand at work. I didn't raise prices on my mags and I did sell them pretty quick. Supply however is non-existant, at least through my two distributors. And that isn't even just for AR or AK mags, they are out of almost every mag they carry regardless of capacity, caliber or weapon. Just like ammo did when Obama first got elected. Remember how long it took for supplies to come back on that?

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand the pricing on the PMags. I mean, the prices shot up pretty substantially. What is driving everyone to get them? The military is no longer allowing them to be used, so those who are high speed low drag now have to switch to metal mags. It's no longer tacticool to own PMags. That in itself should have flooded the market with mags from all of the "operators" out there who now have to switch because it's no longer mil-spec. Shouldn't we instead be having a thread about PMags being worthless and tons of them being available? Or didn't the message get to some because they are out practicing their techniques?:pms2:

Not 100% correct

The Pentagon has clarified the Army’s stance on a recent safety message that effectively banned a certain high-performance, commercial M4 magazine, which means soldiers can keep using their PMAGs.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...ifle-magazines.html?comp=1198882887570&rank=1

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we are lucky, ammo will come back around April. I say June. This is my second go "round in this little rodeo and I'm getting tired of this bull.

Latest posts

Top Bottom