Private Investigator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll check that out. Seems from another thread, some of the concealed carry areas that are verboten for us common folk are perfectly legal for PI's.

This is true. I don't have a concealed carry permit. But I've had my PI license since 1999. I carry under Title 59, not Title 21. I got my PI license when I was 21 back when you had to be 23 to get a concealed carry permit.

You need CLEET Phase 1,2,3 & 4 for an armed PI license. The one thing you'll need to consider though is CLEET will issue a security license to anyone. They will only issue a PI license if you are employed by a PI agency. To get around this, you'll simply open your own. The agency license is good for 5 years, but CLEET also requires insurance on the agency. If you are self-employed and have no employees other than yourself, your agency will be eligible for a bond instead of a standard insurance policy. The bond is $100/yr.

This is a little more expensive route, but there are advantages to not being restricted by all the Title 21 laws. With the CLEET license, I'm exempt from the SDA training if I want to get my concealed carry permit. I plan on finally doing that. The only advantage to the permit is the ability to carry a rimfire and carry out of state. Other states will not recognize your PI license.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There has been a lot of PI talk going around today, I have had a friend who has been wanting me to get my PI license so I can do insurance fraud cases and this girl was telling me that her and I should open a PI firm up together and it could have a funny name so I said we could call it Tango & G*sh and then she just walked away.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has been a lot of PI talk going around today, I have had a friend who has been wanting me to get my PI license so I can do insurance fraud cases and this girl was telling me that her and I should open a PI firm up together and it could have a funny name so I said we could call it Tango & G*sh and then she just walked away.

Why would she be mad about Tango and Gosh? :screwy:

Some people... :D

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the SDA said the PI could carry in places us "regular" folks can't only when working a case. Is that true?

I have had a PI lic since around 89, but it came in a box of Captn Crunch, not sure it is still valid. :)

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An armed PI is only allowed to carry when working a case. You have to keep a case file in your car, and if ask produce it. Pretty easy to do. The place you are carrying is a known hang out of the person you have the file on who you are try to gather evidence on for suspect disability fraud.
The armed PI license is $141 for 3 years and you have to do your continuing education before renewal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is true. I don't have a concealed carry permit. But I've had my PI license since 1999. I carry under Title 59, not Title 21. I got my PI license when I was 21 back when you had to be 23 to get a concealed carry permit.

You need CLEET Phase 1,2,3 & 4 for an armed PI license. The one thing you'll need to consider though is CLEET will issue a security license to anyone. They will only issue a PI license if you are employed by a PI agency. To get around this, you'll simply open your own. The agency license is good for 5 years, but CLEET also requires insurance on the agency. If you are self-employed and have no employees other than yourself, your agency will be eligible for a bond instead of a standard insurance policy. The bond is $100/yr.

This is a little more expensive route, but there are advantages to not being restricted by all the Title 21 laws. With the CLEET license, I'm exempt from the SDA training if I want to get my concealed carry permit. I plan on finally doing that. The only advantage to the permit is the ability to carry a rimfire and carry out of state. Other states will not recognize your PI license.

Rimfire and out of state? Explain please. Is that exempted with an Okla CCWL?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Trying to skirt the law is inherently wrong. Either get a permit to carry and live with the law or be a real PI. If you go the PI route and have to use a weapon, your going to hire a lawyer and sit before a jury.....then youll be forced to lie or bend the truth, either could put you under a light of guilt.

Its really simple to get a permit and follow the law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom