Proof of Ownership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okmedic

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Got a question today I couldn’t answer. Someone’s father died with no will. The mother was already gone. The son took ownership of the firearms. He doesn’t know of any proof of ownership the father ever had. How does the son prove ownership at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no registration of firearms in Oklahoma, however, many people do carry their firearms by serial number and type/description on their homeowners insurance policy, often as a "valuable property" rider. THe son might see if he can get his hands on a copy of the policy to see if this is the case. If so, great. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Dennis had it right about the dad may given them to him before he passed away.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep all purchases on an excel spreadsheet on a thumb drive. If I have to fill out a 4473, I keep a receipt of where I bought the gun and keep the paperwork in the safe. If it was a person to person sale, I keep a record of the gun, make, model, serial number and how much I paid on the thumb drive.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a side note, this is one of the things the gun grabbers want to do. They want an estate going to a heir to be registered and transferred via 4473 with a background check so they can have a record of transfer.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a question today I couldn’t answer. Someone’s father died with no will. The mother was already gone. The son took ownership of the firearms. He doesn’t know of any proof of ownership the father ever had. How does the son prove ownership at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In theory he should never need to prove he owns them, but if he ever does for some reason, I can’t think of any way that would be possible based on the circumstances described.

Next best thing might be evidence of how long they’ve been in his possession. He could write a simple document explaining that he inherited the firearms (on whatever date) from his father (include father’s name), along with a list of each firearm (description, serial number), and have the document notarized ASAP. Could just be written in the form of a letter. That wouldn’t outright prove that he was telling the truth about being the rightful owner, but it would demonstrate that he at least had knowledge of each of the guns on the date the letter was notarized, which could go a long way if anyone ever disputed his ownership.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with others here. Possession is 9/10ths of the law. Take photos of the firearms and keep a list for insurance purposes. Other than that there's no requirement to prove ownership. If he ever moves to a communist state, he'll have to register them then IF he wants to comply with the law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom