Proof of Ownership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a question today I couldn’t answer. Someone’s father died with no will. The mother was already gone. The son took ownership of the firearms. He doesn’t know of any proof of ownership the father ever had. How does the son prove ownership at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the Make/Model/SN of the weapons don’t hit on an NCIC
Files Search, are not listed as Stolen Property in Local or State Police Records, are not Stolen US Property, and don’t appear on a Missing Probatable Will, possession of said weapons is not contestable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only "proof of ownership" needed in Okla. would be for NFA items
and as legal heir or administer of estate he could transfer them to himself tax free.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many of us own a gun we've bought from someone else? Like maybe from here, in the Classifieds? How can you prove anything, if no paper work changed hands especially? Here's the scenario: Person A, deciding he wants something else instead, posts a Glock 19 for sale in the OSA Classifieds. He had bought the gun a few months ago at a local gun store after completing a 4473. Person B sees the ad, and arranges to buy it from Person A. They meet at the designated time and place; Person A hands the gun to Person B to look at. Person B, satisfied, hands the appropriate, mutually agreed upon amount of cash to Person A. Persons A and B shake hands, BS about OSA and life in general, and go about their business. Person B now owns the gun.

Right? This is how I understand it works in Oklahoma right now.

saltydog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad left me all his guns while he was alive as gifted and he started having memory problems in his last few years. My wife and him never really got along. He died awhile back and my wife after 36 years decides they’re half hers while we are the middle of a divorce as I write this. Lucky my dad and me were gun dealers most of our lives and he kept copies of the 4473s on all his guns he bought, his other guns were war bring backs and my side of the family knows who the belonged to. Right now there in divorce court!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad left me all his guns while he was alive as gifted and he started having memory problems in his last few years. My wife and him never really got along. He died awhile back and my wife after 36 years decides they’re half hers while we are the middle of a divorce as I write this. Lucky my dad and me were gun dealers most of our lives and he kept copies of the 4473s on all his guns he bought, his other guns were war bring backs and my side of the family knows who the belonged to. Right now there in divorce court!
Good lord that sucks, but I know guys that have lost 1/2 of the family farm after a divorce when they didn't take care of their business before the marriage and letting their little brain make the decisions their big brain should have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom