Public Land/Parcel Records help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I need to get some direction from those of you that have experience with searching public records of land and deeds and related items. Here's the deal. I mentioned a couple months ago that there was a 160 acre parcel that was in an area I desired and was a good price but access was not very good. Only access to the property was an easement which I've been told can be OK to a nightmare to deal with.

What I want to do is do a public records search on the land that is for sale just to get all info on it as well as would like to see all surrounding parcels, how large they are and who the owners are. I'm ultimately interested to see if any of the surrounding parcels of land could be purchased along with the 160 already for sale that would give easier access to the land without having to use the easement for access.

I know all this is a long shot but I just don't know where to start the search. I was on the Creek County Public Land search but couldn't figure out how it worked or if I was in the right part of the website. Anything you can advise would be appreciated. Thanks

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I need to get some direction from those of you that have experience with searching public records of land and deeds and related items. Here's the deal. I mentioned a couple months ago that there was a 160 acre parcel that was in an area I desired and was a good price but access was not very good. Only access to the property was an easement which I've been told can be OK to a nightmare to deal with.

What I want to do is do a public records search on the land that is for sale just to get all info on it as well as would like to see all surrounding parcels, how large they are and who the owners are. I'm ultimately interested to see if any of the surrounding parcels of land could be purchased along with the 160 already for sale that would give easier access to the land without having to use the easement for access.

I know all this is a long shot but I just don't know where to start the search. I was on the Creek County Public Land search but couldn't figure out how it worked or if I was in the right part of the website. Anything you can advise would be appreciated. Thanks

I think the county clerk is your answer. When we started researching where to buy land for our gun range, we were at the same level you are now. (not knowing how to proceed)
With some tutoring from the county clerk we found all the info we needed about easements, rights of way, etc.
Some counties in Ok have all the records online, but the smaller in population counties can't or won't put them online for what ever reason.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can look up individual parcels that interest you at the assessor's office or the county clerks office; as @dennishoddy notes, some counties are online, many are not. That won't help you find parcels that are for sale, though; the counties don't maintain records of such things. You have to identify the parcels yourself, then go do the research.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about Creek but, Osage prints a book annually they issue Game wardens,police, sheriff, etc.
its a map book with every parcel and the name of who owns it.
What you really need though is to spend the afternoon at the county clerks office.

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to the Collins bldg just east of the courthouse. Entrance on east side of bldg. Very helpful people. Tell them what you need. I bet they can direct you. I think what you need is a plat (sp?) map. Prob dollar a page. Very interesting place. Lots of old records there. Some hand written deeds where people signed with an X, etc

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The unfortunate thing is that I was wrong about the location of said property. It is just across the line into Okmulgee County. Looks like this task may be a challenge.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to the assessor's office and they can print out a plat that shows the parcel you are looking at along with those that surround it. Get a copy of the tax rolls and you have the current owner and their address. It'll cost a dollar per page, some counties charge $5 for the plat, but if it's rural land you aren't looking at a lot of cost, most sections run less than $10 for the whole section. Platted townsites with lots of owners makes it more expensive due to there being more pages. You can also just get the page with your parcel on it. After that you can usually find a phone number for them.

Then go to the county clerk's office and you can get all the records you want to look at on yours. If you have the time you could in theory build your own abstract. They will have an index and you can get the book and page for all the filings (records, ALL of them) on it. It's all public record. It's also pretty time consuming but with the index you can zero in on what you want to see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom