Pursuing Law Enforcement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cut off age that I usually see is 45. For college hours, several agencies require 4 year degrees (OBNDD and OSBI). OHP and Norman both want 60 hours.

Check CLEET's web site because most agencies post their listings there.

To the OP, if the 2500 a month is credit card debt, then I would try to get that way down. Some agencies will check your credit and disqualify you for poor credit.

The COPS program works if you are wanting to go to school.

If you are wanting to keep your high paying job and still be a cop, consider being a reserve officer. A lot of the smaller towns and most Sheriff's departments have programs.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Droberts, if you are interested in getting in to cyber crime or computer forensics you should check with OSBI. They have a great computer forensics department. The Secret Service also does a lot of computer forensics.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@AdvantageR1. No not all credit card debt. My credit score isn't too terribly awful. However, it could be better. I like the money I make, but I hate my job, mainly due to the people I work for. That is another thread all its own. I have been looking into the reserve side of it, but also would like to make a complete career change, as public service and everything Police Officers are supposed to stand for is what I want to do everyday, I figure I might as well do my best to get into it

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@AdvantageR1. No not all credit card debt. My credit score isn't too terribly awful. However, it could be better. I like the money I make, but I hate my job, mainly due to the people I work for. That is another thread all its own. I have been looking into the reserve side of it, but also would like to make a complete career change, as public service and everything Police Officers are supposed to stand for is what I want to do everyday, I figure I might as well do my best to get into it

You might try being a reserve first and see if you even like being a cop.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David, did you like writing reports in school? It seems like for evey 5 minues of "fun" you have 2 hours or more of report writing. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I also knew what I was getting in to.

I would also suggest doing a ride-a-long with any agency that you potentially want to work for. Unfortunately not all agencies allow ride-a-longs. Stay for the entire shift if you can to see what "it's all about".

One of the things that I like most about my career is that there are no two days that are exactly the same. Every contact is different even if you are contacting the same person for the same crime.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AdvantageR1 said:
David, did you like writing reports in school? It seems like for evey 5 minues of "fun" you have 2 hours or more of report writing. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I also knew what I was getting in to.

I would also suggest doing a ride-a-long with any agency that you potentially want to work for. Unfortunately not all agencies allow ride-a-longs. Stay for the entire shift if you can to see what "it's all about".

One of the things that I like most about my career is that there are no two days that are exactly the same. Every contact is different even if you are contacting the same person for the same crime.

Yes, i actually enjoyed writting in school. Do you happen to know what agencies allow ride-a-longs?

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DavidWOwens said:
Yes, i actually enjoyed writting in school. Do you happen to know what agencies allow ride-a-longs?

OCPD allows ride-a-longs. I have done one for every shift, set, and division. Gives you a good idea of what it's all about.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ride-alongs are great, but don't expect to really "get" what the job's like until you are actually doing it. If you are really interested I would recommend at least an associate's degree. Some places will require a bachelor's. Keep in mind that departments really look at a persons debt when considering an applicant. I would suggest getting that degree and getting yourself as debt free as possible and then make the jump to LE.

Latest posts

Top Bottom