Quantity vs Quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trung Si Ma

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the "excess" in my safe come from the journey. I like to shoot really accurate .22LR bolt guns and being left-handed there are very few folks that I can try a gun or learn from their mistakes. I've been through the Kidd Supper Grade version of the 10/22 before moving into bolts. When I went to bolt guns, my initial choices were Anschutz (accurate but finicky and limited accessories) and Vudoo (great guns). The CZ 452 series weren't upgradeable with their pinned barrels). Until recently, there were no cheap left-handed options. Now we have the Bergara B-14R, the Tikka T1x, the Cz-475 (but no one has seen one yet), and the Bergara BMR (again unseen). The only things in my safe being shot now days are the Vudoo and the Tikka. But it is hard to sell left-handed guns.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
What really irritates me is shotguns nowadays when it comes to quality/quantity and branding. Half of winchesters line, mossberg silver and gold reserve, CZ, Stoeger, Hatfield, Stevens, and many others in forgetting are all Turkish made shotguns. I’ve heard (or experienced) a lot of bad with each of these companies Turkish rebranded offerings. I’ve been on a bit of a quest for a quality, nonturkish break action in the $1500 or less range. It just doesn’t seem to exist. To bump things up to a quality firearm, you can spend a minimum of $1600 for a Winchester 101 made in Belgium, $2k+ for a beretta break action, $3k+ for a benelli double barrel, $1700+++ for a browning break action, even the F.A.I.R. Perazzi guns that used to be affordable are $2-3k+ now.

As a break action (and in many cases any other style) shotgun purchaser, the new market seems to offer 4 options now. Sub $400 Turkish made mediocrity (if you’re lucky), $700-1400 Turkish made stuff of questionable quality that’s been rebranded, $1600-4000 dollar quality shotguns, and $10k+ family heirloom pieces. You can’t mix quality and quantity for a nice blend with shotguns it seems, which I think is a load of crap.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@HoLeChit I’m really a pump (Model 12s, 87s and BPSs) but this Superposed has managed to find a home in my safe. 😬

Attachments

• 6DF977C5-B8DC-4154-9A98-3EA17669FE89.jpeg
    6DF977C5-B8DC-4154-9A98-3EA17669FE89.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • A7C75794-3535-48B4-A5EA-51DEDD65CB94.jpeg
    A7C75794-3535-48B4-A5EA-51DEDD65CB94.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The big question is what defines quality. I read a test years ago where one of the higher end H&K USP .45 shot a .375" 5 shot group at 25 yards. I've seen test where they jammed a bullet in a H&K barrel and then fired a round behind it. It bulged the barrel a little but, the gun still worked and shot good groups. Will a Nighthawk, Les Bear, or Ed Brown .45 match this quality? I don't think so. So, is a $3K gun a quality gun just because it cost 2 or 3 times as much? I have an Armalite AR10T that has put 3 rounds into one hole at 100yds. off a bipod being shot prone. Will an H&K PSG-1 do that? I dough it. I think most people associate price with quality. You sometimes get what you pay for but, sometimes you don't get what you expect for the cost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom