Quantity vs Quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No... There are some top-quality guns available for not a lot of money. You don't have to spend a lot to get a lot with some guns.

That's not to say I don't have a few higher end guns. Most of mine would be what most consider run of the mill stuff, though.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Rossi 20" octagon barreled model 92 in 45 Colt. It has color case and decent wood.
It cycles rounds really well and is pretty accurate if I do my part, especially with heavy 300+ gr +P ammo.
Comparing it to a Winchester model 94AE in 45 Colt I used to own, hands down IMHO the Rossi is a better rifle.
The Winchester would not cycle heavy long bullet loads, was finicky with cast bullets in general and accuracy was abysmal. The chamber was so much oversize like they let the chamber reamer wobble during its build, that fired brass from that gun gave me lots of reloading bench headaches.
Rossi 92 fired brass is easy to reload.
Now these two are in total different retail price ranges. But I think the Rossi is a much better rifle.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eh, yes and no. Yes because I’m a few instances I’ve had to buy and sell one or two guns to finally find what I wanted, which tended to be a more expensive gun.

But overall, no. So with me I’ve only really owned/actively shot firearms for the past 15 years of my life. Buying some of the cheaper/mid grade stuff has allowed me to have guns for any situation I may need them, and has allowed me to figure out what I like. Now that I own the “field grade” stuff that I can use and abuse, I know what I want when dropping good money on nicer stuff and will also appreciate it more. It also allows me to have “loaner guns” when a buddy comes hunting that doesn’t have the right gun for the job.

But, in the same token, I kinda wish I bought into modularity when it comes to center fire bolt action rifles. If I started out with a custom action and high quality stock, slapped a top of the line optic on it, and then just bought bolt faces and barrels for the calibers I needed as I went I would have a much nicer setup for way less money. Instead, I have a handful of ok/decent rifles with different stocks, that I’ve had to purchase accessories, optics, rings, muzzle devices, etc for; and have to be mindful of that change with every rifle, rather than having near identical ergonomics and a single optic.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking the same thing. Well not exactly wishing I’d bought different guns but I do keep looking in my safe thinking “I’ll never shoot all these guns”. I keep toying with the idea of selling a number of them and getting myself a really nice drilling.
A drilling is definitely on my bucket list.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you ever wish you had just spent more upfront on really high end guns and owned less overall?

The problem is I only came to this conclusion after owning a lot of lower and mid grade guns. :doh:
Well yes and no, I couldn’t afford the high end stuff when I was young…. Now that I can I have converted most of the lower grade stuff to high end stuff, Din’t really lose anything those Mosi’s more than doubled in price but I just had to have them back then reality (they are mediocre at best), I now focus on higher end equipment I expect to around and functional for my great grand kids (if we are still inhabiting the planet by then)

Latest posts

Top Bottom