Quantity vs Quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The big question is what defines quality.
And I suppose that will depend on who you ask. My boss had a Rolls Royce and one time he brought it to work and took me to lunch. Never had been in one before but let me tell you, in just closing the door you felt the difference.

If ya like that @HoLeChit check out the wood on this Browning 28 Gauge Model 12.
8CDB7FAF-6536-4022-93DA-776C6E5A2702.jpeg
E477A0CA-4F7D-4185-ADC0-4D9E43D0329D.jpeg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I suppose that will depend on who you ask. My boss had a Rolls Royce and one time he brought it to work and took me to lunch. Never had been in one before but let me tell you, in just closing the door you felt the difference.

If ya like that @HoLeChit check out the wood on this Browning 28 Gauge Model 12. View attachment 317791View attachment 317792
Man, that’s gorgeous. I view most center fire rifles as tools, some of them can be pretty. But there’s just something about a fine shotgun with some real high quality wood. They go from being a tool to being a work of art.

I’ve promised myself that I have 2 or 3 more shotguns to buy, nicer ones that my current field grade tools, to round out my collection. But then, I’m saving every penny, and will purchase a bespoke shotgun made for me in England by one of the good houses, be it Purdey, Holland and Holland, or perhaps Boxall & Edmiston. I’ll go for the whole experience, the fitting, day of shooting, the whole nine yards. And I’ll shoot the crap out of it before my grandkids get it. Or maybe I’ll have it buried with me in the back yard.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve promised myself that I have 2 or 3 more shotguns to buy, nicer ones that my current field grade tools, to round out my collection. But then, I’m saving every penny, and will purchase a bespoke shotgun made for me in England by one of the good houses, be it Purdey, Holland and Holland, or perhaps Boxall & Edmiston. I’ll go for the whole experience, the fitting, day of shooting, the whole nine yards. And I’ll shoot the crap out of it before my grandkids get it. Or maybe I’ll have it buried with me in the back yard
Now that sounds like a plan my man. I’ve spoken to the guys at H&H in Dallas a few times and they seem like a really nice group. If I’m ever down that way I’ll be wanting to pay them a visit and drool all over the place. The closest I’ll likely ever get to that are a pair of Holland & Holland Took rifles I managed to grab. That is unless some long lost uncle surprises me with an inheritance. 😉 I’ve posted pics of them before but hey, we never get tired of looking at guns so we?

Attachments

• A81B15C9-3702-4AC1-9F72-0755AA057797.jpeg
    A81B15C9-3702-4AC1-9F72-0755AA057797.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DFF1E256-C0B3-4CF7-8232-F4EABCB882BF.jpeg
    DFF1E256-C0B3-4CF7-8232-F4EABCB882BF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that sounds like a plan my man. I’ve spoken to the guys at H&H in Dallas a few times and they seem like a really nice group. If I’m ever down that way I’ll be wanting to pay them a visit and drool all over the place. The closest I’ll likely ever get to that are a pair of Holland & Holland Took rifles I managed to grab. That is unless some long lost uncle surprises me with an inheritance. 😉 I’ve posted pics of them before but hey, we never get tired of looking at guns so we?
I certainly don’t. If you’re looking for someone to adopt with the intention of putting them in your will, I wouldn’t mind submitting an application. Just saying.

Closest I’ve gotten to anything near that nice was considering if I should pick up a krieghoff on the rack at Gene Sears. I decided I shouldn’t.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
well, sometimes what is considered a "quantity" gun becomes a "quality" gun.

like when i was nabbing $300 saigas, they certainly weren't viewed as a "quality" gun as they are now. you could say the same for all sorts of c&r guns or milsurp that used to go for pennies on the dollar and have gone up 7x-10x.

that being said, i remember the first time i spent four digits on a firearm. i doubt i'll ever spend five digits for one, but i get the appeal.

no doubt for me, i think of the "too many guns you could never shoot" argument as a "well i mean i could always hand them out to people i trust that are occupying the same building as me" or what have you.

having more guns is always good. i don't recommend selling off what you might consider a "quantity" gun for a "quality" one because you never know. if you like something, keep it. if you don't, sell it. but i wouldn't say let the opinions of others or the current market dictate what you like. markets change real quick. like when everyone here told me to not buy a $300 saiga and instead get a $1000 dpms or stag ar at the time when $1000 was a lot more than it is today. glad i don't listen lol.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been in both camps. Hunting and shooting used to be a very big hobby of mine. But things have changed over the past couple of years and now I'm into something new. I've sold off 3/4 of my collection to help somewhat fund my new hobby. At first it was very hard to do but later I found it actually better because I would shoot and enjoy those few guns that I retained.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I've been in both camps. Hunting and shooting used to be a very big hobby of mine. But things have changed over the past couple of years and now I'm into something new. I've sold off 3/4 of my collection to help somewhat fund my new hobby. At first it was very hard to do but later I found it actually better because I would shoot and enjoy those few guns that I retained.
my issue is if i sell off, it becomes harder to even find a decent amount of my collection, and there's no way i could ever buy back in for what i paid for them. yes, if i sold today i would get the higher pay out to re-invest, but i've got time to keep holding. i'd like to have a $100k collection.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my issue is if i sell off, it becomes harder to even find a decent amount of my collection, and there's no way i could ever buy back in for what i paid for them. yes, if i sold today i would get the higher pay out to re-invest, but i've got time to keep holding. i'd like to have a $100k collection.
You're right, point taken.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You're right, point taken.
my biggest issue is ammo price fluctuating (rising) so much. i figured that import bans and scarcity of historic firearms would increase their value and i was mostly right, but i also assumed ammo would stay level price for the most part. i was wrong on that as stuff like .22 and 9mm is still considerably higher (although not as high as some other crazy peaks, so i digress).

so! even with all my guns, at one time shooting them all wasn't really that big of a deal. now it certainly is and i wish i would have stacked more .22lr and those sweet, sweet 7n6 tins. i shot *so* much of that stuff all over oklahoma lol. it was the cheapest ammo i could buy, of course i shot it! that was my reasoning at the time, i figured it would be worth something some day, but dang. i shot a LOT of that stuff lol. tons of 7.62x25 with cracked cases too lol. that was stuff was dirt cheap for a while as well.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cost doesn't equal quality. I can be a factor, but not a definite
Bill Ruger built a company by finding a better / less expensive way with investment casting. Colt required skilled 'smith's and hand fitting.
Henry Ford and his assembly line.
Lost doesn't doesn't mean quality.

From what I have seen of the Turk gun. There are 2 companies. 1 has much better quality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom