Quantity vs Quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking the same thing. Well not exactly wishing I’d bought different guns but I do keep looking in my safe thinking “I’ll never shoot all these guns”. I keep toying with the idea of selling a number of them and getting myself a really nice drilling.
A drilling is definitely on my bucket list.
Go for it!!! I seriously doubt you’ll regret it. :thumb:

As many probably know because I’ve posted pictures several times, I went with a short barrel combo gun instead of a drilling. I still might end up with a drilling someday though.

To answer the OP’s question, I’d rather have a handful of nice guns (not necessarily expensive) than a safe full of random guns just to impress my buddies that I have “x” number of guns.
I’ve owned a lot of guns and have gotten to the point that if I’m not going to hunt with it I really don’t need it. I’ve gradually been purging my safe the last couple years.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought about this. I have some firearms I have never fired. No real reason to not shoot them, but I'm coming to the conclusion that I cannot shoot all of them as much as I want. I would rather have a few that I shoot a lot.

I am considering selling some of my less expensive guns, and putting that money in
A) perhaps one or two nicer guns
or
B) suppressor(s).

Some higher end optics would come in handy too.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with a short barrel combo gun instead of a drilling.
That was my first in that class of gun too. Mine is an 1891 Thieme Und Schlegelmilch German combo gun 8X72r and 16 gauge. Followed that up with a couple Holland & Holland Rook rifles from around 1907.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
High end guns?
Or accurate reliable guns?

I love accurate and reliable and care less if the price turns out to be inexpensive.
Mine are tools and are to be used as such. Not an investment to cash out on later.

I feel my $550 Savage 10SR is a high end gun and my Savage Axis .223 is low end but both
are fun because both are accurate and reliable.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got cleaned out of my mid to lower priced guns in a home burglary years ago. Had the rider on the homeowners insurance to do a complete replacement with little deductible.
Decided to replace with quality vs numbers. Didn't need some .410 NEF's and so on.
Went mid to moderately high quality because I'm an all purpose gun guy in a way. Back in the poor years, One rifle in rimfire had to do everything, one shotgun in 12 ga had to do everything and so on.
Now it's a turkey shotgun, Upland quail gun, Pheasant gun, short range deer, long range deer, competition stuff and so on.
Lever gun collection, Antique gun collection, Muzzleloaders, and a plethora of various guns I've inherited over the years, all in the bargain class.
Sold two or three over the years as they were bought to be traders but everything sits in the safes.
Gonna be a heck of an auction when this wild ride is over.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got most of mine as a investment that i could move quickly if i needed to, and the biggest majority is just everyday ones that the average person would want and could afford. Here in a few years i may think of thinning the herd some, cause 80% of mine i have never fired.

Latest posts

Top Bottom