Quantity vs Quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Cost doesn't equal quality. I can be a factor, but not a definite
Bill Ruger built a company by finding a better / less expensive way with investment casting. Colt required skilled 'smith's and hand fitting.
Henry Ford and his assembly line.
Lost doesn't doesn't mean quality.

From what I have seen of the Turk gun. There are 2 companies. 1 has much better quality.
yeah this is my thing. what's seen as "cheap junk" today might be viewed as a quality firearm decades later. like russian imports. the people who liked them said "hey you know these aren't bad firearms" and people who hated them called them cheap junk. now they are all sold out, will never be any more in the US, and people desperately want them (some people) because now they are viewed as one of the absolute highest quality import countries. you could say the same for polytechs of the 80's, etc. etc.

i think kel-tec has that potential now because they make innovative designs that are cheap to produce and buy, designs that have *already been copied by the larger manufacturers*, and they simply don't make that many of them so you get scarcity on any of them that become popular. in 20 years things like sub2k's will be viewed in a much better light than they are today, the same for guns like the pmr, cp33, p17 (most people already love this one), ksg, etc.

i'm not saying they will be worth fortunes, but something tells me they will be viewed in a more positive light, especially if/when 3d printing becomes more a thing because the owner has already stated that he will stick to thermo molding and "cheap plastic" won't be viewed as negative as it is today.

and you raised a GREAT point on the turk guns. anyone not loading up on cheap caniks/saa/girsans or those sweet, sweet MKE mp5 clones for $1,200 CAN YOU BELEIVE THIS?!?! is going to miss out big time. turk gonna get import restrictions you watch.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO there’s a big difference between collectibility and quality. I have a couple Mosin Nagants I bought within the last 10 years, one a 91/30 and the other an M44. I paid $89 and $160 respectively and now I see they’re “Asking” $550-$650 for starters. That’s just nuts!!! I wouldn’t call them “cheap junk” by any stretch but there’s no way they’re even close to being in the same class as a 1903, 03A3 or K98 Mauser. There’s also no way in H.E. Double hockey sticks I’d ever pay anyway near $500 for either. I think value is based on what the market will bare but that doesn’t mean it’s worth that much to me.

Last edited:

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Quality over quantity is the way to go. Buy the best you can afford, in a financially responsible manner, by saving up for a significant period of time. Say 2-5 years. Just keep a revolving firearm fund.

Sell off all the cheaply made, mass produced stuff you own that doesn’t have sentimental value and buy something of quality. Use that money for your next purchase. Just keep one el cheapo to use while you’re saving up.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quality over quantity is the way to go. Buy the best you can afford, in a financially responsible manner, by saving up for a significant period of time. Say 2-5 years. Just keep a revolving firearm fund.
Easy enough to say. Harder to do when one is 22 years old, broke, and wants to shoot.

Cheap guns and reloading was how I did it.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Easy enough to say. Harder to do when one is 22 years old, broke, and wants to shoot.

Cheap guns and reloading was how I did it.
I completely understand where you’re coming from and can empathize with you. I’m 31 and I’ve been there myself and learned the hard way. It takes discipline and patience but it can be done.

Just to add to that thought.. When I was your age and single I can confidently say I was wasting 500-700 bucks a month. That’s probably a low figure. My financial situation was my own fault. I could probably write a book on how not to start off your adult life. I’m not saying you are wasting your money. Just speaking for myself.

Last edited:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I completely understand where you’re coming from and can empathize with you. I’m 31 and I’ve been there myself and learned the hard way. It takes discipline and patience but it can be done.

Just to add to that thought.. When I was your age and single I can confidently say I was wasting 500-700 bucks a month. That’s probably a low figure. My financial situation was my own fault. I could probably write a book on how not to start off your adult life. I’m not saying you are wasting your money. Just speaking for myself.
I'm well past my twenties now. For myself, I can empathize with the old cowboy that said "Most of my money I spent on booze and women. The rest of it I just wasted."

Latest posts

Top Bottom