Question about End of Days, Rapture, Tribulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also want to add that the whole Jesus event would be like a todays high school student writing the authoritative official historical perspective of the JFK assassination. And then people take it for gospel truth.

Blows my mind but it's all we got to work with.

I thought this thread was about the in laws coming over. To be fair lurker, you should emphasize that this high school
student was on the honor roll and is bilingual

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I grew up Baptist, believing the timeline that the OP posted. I recently started attending a Presbyterian Church (PCA). Their eschatology is closer to this. No rapture, just the second coming of Christ, which is the final judgment. As best as I can understand it, the reformed (Presby) view also spiritualizes a lot of things that my Southern Baptist friends take literally. For instance, the millennial reign of Christ began at the ascension and is still going on (and not a literal 1,000 years). I think the tribulation also began with the persecution of the early church under the Romans and isn't a literal 7 years. Interesting stuff. A lot of different takes on it.

I identify myself as Christian. I also consider myself anti-denominational, as I view denominations as divisions contrary to 1 Corinthians chapter 1.

That said, I have attended - and studied - many different doctrines. I was not involved with the Presbyterian church long enough to study Revelations, but your synopsis is very close to what I have understood the Bible to teach. Interesting - I learned something.

I don't agree with the literal interpretation of Revelations - it is figurative. The Reign of Christ is the same as the Kingdom of Heaven, which is the same as the Body of Christ, or the church. The concept of "rapture" is true only in that there will be a final call of all souls ever to the judgement seat; after that either Heaven with God, or eternal death without.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, there is Pre-Millenarianism or Post-Millenarianism, each of which posits an entirely different End Times chronology, and that's just the beginning of Eschatology. Good luck in your quest, JB.

Norman681

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First of all you have to understand the symbolism that first century Jews would understand. Read Daniel and Isiah. Then realize that it relates to "things that will soon come to pass". There is no rapture in Revalation. Think in terms of the Roman Empire. Domition was the great persecuter of the Christians. Most of the things already happened to those Christians that he wrote the letter to. It's not that hard to understand if you have the right foundation. Most all the symbolism is found in the Old Testament.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a show on the History Channel a couple of weeks back about the End of Days.

My understanding is that the timeline is as follows:

The Rapture occurs. The living Christians and dead are taken to Heaven. (Which puzzles me, because aren't the dead Christians already in Heaven?)

The seven year Tribulation begins. The first three and one half years sees the rise of the Anti-Christ, his sidekick, The False Prophet, and a one world government.

The second three and one half years is marked by disease, famine, etc. People are required to take the Mark of the Beast.

Christ returns and vanquishes the Anti-Christ and his forces in the Battle of Armageddon. Satan, the Anti-Christ, False Prophet, demons, and all their human followers are cast into the Lake of Fire.

Is this correct? The Internet is all over the place.

Those of you responding in this thread, please be respectful of others' beliefs.
Jesus will only come back to earth to gather his chosen. He WILL NOT rule for a 1,000 years. People try and read revelations and make sense of it when they can't. Jesus said himself that his kingdom is not of this earth so why would he come here to rule? And what would be the point? When it is time he will either take you to heaven or to hell. That is the ONLY reason he is coming back to this earth, to gather his flock, not to rule. And the devil will not be released to roam around. When Jesus returns the devil and all that are going to hell will be cast into the lake of fire for eternity. One can't make assertions off of one book of the bible and overlook the others. But if someone wants to believe in the 1,000 year reign, then that is their right.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think Norman 681 was the first to get the name of the book right. It is "Revelation" in the singular, not revelations.

I am a member of the Church of Christ, whose members adhere to the Bible and no councils or other "gathering" of faithful to decide things. One of the sayings of the Church of Christ is that we "speak where the Bible speaks and are silent where the Bible is silent.

All that said, Revelation is not really a book of prophesy, at least not in the way we normally use that word. The book is a revelation OF Jesus Christ and not a revelation BY him. That is clearly stated in the first of the book. As we believe, there will be no "end of days" as written of in the Left Behind series of books and movies. Jesus will return and the dead in Him will first rise to the sky to be with him, followed by those that are still alive and in Him.

Don't worry about a rapture and tribulation. Just do a very diligent study of the Bible in all areas. While the Old Testament is a "history" leading up to the New Testament, there is still much in the Old that is beneficial to us, even if we are to live according to the New. Good luck in all that, and enjoy the learning process.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no longer sure that there is a known answer to your question. I do think a great many religious people are going to be surprised, and possibly lose their faith. The Rapture doctrine may well turn into a weeding of the garden event for many.

As an aside, for a good read on a similar subject, I recommend "The Harbinger". Interesting take on "end-times" related events from scripture.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would take to long to explain right here, but here is a short explanation. John wrote the book of Revelation. He saw all this at the cross as Jesus was being crucified as he says
in Revelation in the day of the lord. He wrote it down way later on Patmos. It was what would have happened 2 thousand years ago if Jesus hadn't died and fulfilled all prophecy.
Nothing in Revelation will ever happen now. All this end time stuff is wrong as nothing has happened in 2 thousand years and nothing like this will happen in the next 2 thousand
years. All this is my own opinion and you know what they say about opinions. lol. Gospel Revolution . com website has a lot of teaching on this and other things if you are interested.

Latest posts

Top Bottom