Question for computer nerds and cheap asses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's windows 7 and they said to just buy another.
It's at least 10 years old and I've had to start restarting it sometimes cause it will freeze up.
My android phone is just as bad but it's like 20 years old. Battery is swole up and gonna explode one of these days.
Trying to hope it lasts til october then I'll get a new one.
You can load Ubuntu to work side by side with Windows if you wish in case you don't like it and it's free. It replaces Windows as your operating system.

There is also Linux Mint that is supposed to be even better.
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you buy decent quality it will last. My current everyday desktop is a 2015 model Dell workstation that is heavily updated. It does some pretty heavy lifting, and does it very well. I figure it has another 4-5 years minimum worth of life on it.

If you’re willing to learn a new operating system, there’s versions of Linux for everyone. And they’re all free. Well, consumer versions are.

Last edited:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old system was a 2009 vintage (I think) Dell Precision T5500. I had dual hex core Xeon processors, 72GB of ram, couple TB of HDD, Win 10 and blah blah. It was great but I finally decided to upgrade after 14 years to my new rig. Now I've got that and some others just laying around. I expect this build will last about 10 ish years based on my usage patterns.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work with Windows 11 all day and we have some Windows 10 LTSB machines still in the environment . As a result my recommendation is to run Forest run . Get a Mac Book Air and use OS X or get a Dell Mobile Precision Work Station and wipe it then install Ubuntu .

I haven't used OS X or Windows of any flavor since 2008 , Ubuntu is more than capable of doing anything the average home user does now days including gaming . Snaps make it super easy to install apps , overall Linux just like Virginia Slim has come a long way baby .

Its not the Linux of 10 to 30 years ago even. Plus I rarely if ever have issues and I do not worry about my OS spying on me all day long .

Last edited:

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much do you want to spend? If you want a web surfing box then I can get you covered cheap, I think I have two or three sitting gathering dust.
I would check with this guy and try a used one for a while -likely you won't notice any difference for many years to come -- or buy a cheap one = end of life doesn't mean those will quit - just some new software you MAY want to use MIGHT not be compatible - if you are using Win 7 - its end of life is long gone
Ipads are like learning a new language so think hard before making that jump

Latest posts

Top Bottom