Question for computer nerds and cheap asses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old desktop is apparently crapping out. And I need another one.
I looked at some cheap windows 10's
but the lady said their end of life was 2025.
Then theres high dollar ones that are upgradable.
I only surf osa and fb and an occasional ebay or Amazon purchase.
So it's not like I need sum big whoopty do monster gamer or some thing.
Any advise???

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any advise???
How much do you want to spend? If you want a web surfing box then I can get you covered cheap, I think I have two or three sitting gathering dust.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, Windows 10 does EOL in October 2025 but they have lowered the requirements for the free upgrade to windows 11 that most PCs you buy new at wally-mart or any of the big box stores will be elligible for the free upgrade. I bought a 300 dollar craptop at walmart a couple years ago and it upgraded just fine for free.

FWIW October 2025 is more than two years away. My laptops dont normally last that long, they get spilled on, dropped, and mistreated by grandkids anyways.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wary of Windows 10. A recent update hosed the sound output on three of my Dell XPS desktops. Upgrading two of them (free) to Windows 11 immediately fixed the issue. The one I'm using now was built in 2012, and will not support Windows 11. I'm going to shop for a new one, too.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wary of Windows 10. A recent update hosed the sound output on three of my Dell XPS desktops. Upgrading two of them (free) to Windows 11 immediately fixed the issue. The one I'm using now was built in 2012, and will not support Windows 11. I'm going to shop for a new one, too.
My home-built desktop that I put together back in 2009 is still humming along fine 😊 but I know I have to upgrade or replace before long. Always been more a 'cutting-edge' type builder but anymore, I don't know if I even want to install Windows 11, these days.
- Still, I've been keeping close tabs on the latest component offerings for awhile now, hoping that the prices start dropping a bit. Currently I'm at war with myself over upping to 'Zen 5' and 'DDR-5' stuff or stay with the less expensive - soon to be obsolete - platform upgrades.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Any advise???
Load up something like Ubuntu that is Linux based.You'll be happy.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's windows 7 and they said to just buy another.
It's at least 10 years old and I've had to start restarting it sometimes cause it will freeze up.
My android phone is just as bad but it's like 20 years old. Battery is swole up and gonna explode one of these days.
Trying to hope it lasts til october then I'll get a new one.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, in 5 years you’ll likely want an upgrade anyways. If you want something to get you by, and all you do is surf the web and watch YouTube, I highly suggest grabbing Dell optiplex micro form factor PC. They’re the size of a CDROM drive, and plenty powerful for what you need. They’re also tiny, quiet, and have a super low power draw.

I grabbed one of these off Amazon, maxed out the memory for $80, upgraded the hard drives, and it’s now waiting for me to eventually set it up as a server/security appliance. Under $300 for my needs and it will consume less than $30 of electricity annually running 24/7/365. You could have one that will do what you need for 150 or less.at $150 you could just buy another in 4-5 years if needed.

Dell OptiPlex 7050 Micro Computer, Intel Quad Core i5-6500T up to 3.1GHz, 16G DDR4, 256G SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit-Multi-Language Supports English/Spanish/French(Renewed) https://a.co/d/8iGjBLE

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom