Question for computer nerds and cheap asses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old desktop is apparently crapping out. And I need another one.
I looked at some cheap windows 10's
but the lady said their end of life was 2025.
Then theres high dollar ones that are upgradable.
I only surf osa and fb and an occasional ebay or Amazon purchase.
So it's not like I need sum big whoopty do monster gamer or some thing.
Any advise???
It sounds to me like a notepad, iPad, tablet would work for you. If you get wifi only it's cheap, if you wanted to be able to use it anywhere without wifi like with a cellular provider you could have both options available. This is what my dad went with and he found he could also watch some TV programs and play a few games like spades/hearts. $200-$400 and if you opted for cellular you maybe able to sign for a year or two and afterwards the device would be your without a purchase.

2nd option if you want a laptop there are people that knows computers and take trade ins and upgrade them, and resell them for $100-$200 cash or trade at gunshows. If you want a name or phone number I can get one for you.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you hook up a laptop to a bigger screen? I like my 24 inch monitor and might want bigger
or maybe hook it to my 50 inch or 70 inch tv.
Got a laptop that was pretty up to date in 2014.
Never used the thing as I found a general dislike for them.
Bought it to do business with but found I liked my desktop or pencil and paper better.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you hook up a laptop to a bigger screen? I like my 24 inch monitor and might want bigger
or maybe hook it to my 50 inch or 70 inch tv.
Got a laptop that was pretty up to date in 2014.
Never used the thing as I found a general dislike for them.
Bought it to do business with but found I liked my desktop or pencil and paper better.
Indeed. All my computers hook into my 55" 4k and use a regular keyboard and mouse.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought my wife an ACER notebook/laptop for $300. It has an HDMI port to hook it to a TV so if she wanted to she could hook it to our 75 incher. It even came with a one-year subscription to MS Office.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get an iPad. I thought they were a gimmick when they first canned out. I'm in my 3rd and have used them way more than a laptop or desktop.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've ran a linux OS for many years now. Red Hat (not sure if its still around or not), Debian, Unbuntu. It's open source and runs just fine.

I'm not a computer person. I'm a user, not a programmer. Don't know how to use the command line, and if I need to add a piece of software, I can usually find the code to use on the internet and cut and past into the terminal. However, don't have to do that much anymore.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom