Question for the LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so I've got a question. Did sometime recently it become illegal to have the factory spotlight on a retired police car?? I ask this because my gf's car is in the shop and i let her borrow my CVPI. Some of you have seen it,well one of tulsa's finest threatened to take her to jail because of the spotlight on my car. I didnt think this was illegal. But, I wasnt there so i dont know the situation.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've heard only taxis and police are allowed to have them. But a friend of mine has a 2000 cvpi with a spotlight and has never had anything said to him. I don't think he has any right to tell you what not to have on your car. As long as your not using it on public roads I don't see a problem in it

Last edited by a moderator:

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive never seen anything in state statute about it. Might be a city ordinace though. Certainly worth a call to Tulsa Pd to find out.
Fog

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know, but then I'm not "The Man". Lot's of them in OKC, and on street rods.

OKCPD guys are not like that, for the most part. Most of them are more like, "Cool light. Where'd you get it?"

Last edited by a moderator:

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only illegal if you use it while driving. It's no different than auxiliary lighting on a 4x4, not legal for on road use.

Read the statutes, there is nothing prohibiting it. You just had an officer who needs some corrective counseling from his supervisor.

AGI

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only illegal if you use it while driving. It's no different than auxiliary lighting on a 4x4, not legal for on road use.

Read the statutes, there is nothing prohibiting it. You just had an officer who needs some corrective counseling from his supervisor.

This!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check Title 47, Chapter 12. Thats the chapter on vehicle equipment. You may or may not find something in there. He may have it in his brain that it may still be equipped as an emergency vehicle or some wannabe. If in question, don't be afraid to ask. "Can you tell me the State statute or Ordinance number?"

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

From her supervisor, I was told it was a lady cop, there was a ongoing murder investigation so i'm sure they were in a bad mood to begin with.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't have a forward facing red light. If it has a clear lens, so long as you're not operating it in violation of the laws governing the operation of a motor vehicle on public roadways, it's fine. If they were in fact illegal, TPD would have to arrest everyone driving a utility truck, cause they pretty much all have them.

Last edited:

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having the spotlight on a civilian car. OG&E trucks have them. Utility trucks and work trucks have them. You just can't operate it while driving. Unless, you're doing your night driving course for LEDT certification. That helps a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom