question for wife's concealed carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife will be flying out of Dulles International Airport in two weeks. She has her CCW from OK. Does anyone have any experience flying into or out of this airport that could share some tips and pointers to go about this lawfully? We read the facts at handgunlaw.us but as you might imagine, we are a little nervous about it and want to make sure that we don't accidentally run afoul of anything.

Thanks!

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I was in DC was before the sepreme court case.

But I am certain that they do not allow handguns from people that a not a resident. I would call the NRA and the department of public safety there. I mention the NRA because you never know what that crazy mayor would be up to.

EAD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read this link.

TSA Firearms rules

A "TSA Lock" is NOT an approved lock. It MUST be a lock that only the passenger has the key to.

Incidentally, packing the gun inside a hard sided suitcase with your own lock also means TSA cannot open the suitcase for inspection without you being present.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dulles in in Virginia, not DC, and VA has reciprocity (actually VA calls it mutual recognition) with Oklahoma. Source: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

Washington DC has no reciprocity with any state and it is (from what I hear) extremely difficult to get a permit.

I have flown in and out of Dulles multiple times in the past 5 years (nearly once a month last year) as well as several other airports around the country, with one or more handguns, and the procedure is very simple, but some preparation is needed. Below is how I do it.

1) Arrive at the airport early. I find that it usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes longer than checking a bag without a firearm, but if there are questions or a more detailed inspection of your bag, it could take longer. Dulles is a busy airport, but usually the lines move pretty quickly.

2) Read and be familiar with BOTH the TSA requirements (see link inn EAD's post) and your airline's regulations (from your airline's website). The airlines can and do have some differences. I always carry 2 copies of each, one for me and one to give to the airline employee or TSA agent if needed. This has been useful more than once.

3) Your handgun(s) should be unloaded and in a hard-sided, locked container. The lock for this container should NOT be a TSA lock. I use a combination padlock. Ammunition CAN be in the same container, but does not have to be. Read the requirements carefully - I usually put mine in WWB or Blazer cardboard cartons that have the plastic trays. TSA allows loaded magazines as long as they are in a mag pouch or holster that covers the exposed portions, and I remember doing this several years ago (on United or US Airways I think), but now most AIRLINES will not allow this. Delta and American do not. Again, read BOTH the TSA and airline rules. I put this locked box inside a suitcase that is locked with a TSA lock (do not actually lock it until turning your bag over to save time). Put it in the suitcase so you can easily access it, since you will need to get it out at least once, possibly several times. Below is a pic of what I use if taking more than one handgun - ammo in boxes is in the bottom. I have a smaller case that I use if only taking one. I secure this case to the interior frame of the suitcase with a cable lock to prevent someone just taking the entire case easily.

ai43.tinypic.com_p3fav.jpg

ai39.tinypic.com_jb1wqq.jpg

4) When you get to the airport, go to the airline's baggage check-in just like you were checking any normal bag. When you get to the front of the line, where they attach the labels to your bag, calmly tell the airline employee, "I need to declare an Unloaded Firearm in my checked baggage." At this point, they should give you an "unloaded firearms" declaration that you should sign and date. Be prepared to open your suitcase and your locked firearm case inside, and to demonstrate that it is unloaded. Sometimes the employee will have you retract the slide or open the cylinder, sometimes they won't even want you to open it. The declaration form will be put either in your locked case with your firearms, or attached to the outside of the case (this is actually the correct way). Do not let them attach the declaration (or anything else that says "firearm") to the outside of your suitcase - this is illegal and advertises to everyone that you have a firearm in your bag.

5) After everything at the baggage check counter, you will now take your suitcase (locked with the TSA lock) with your locked, firearm case inside it, to the TSA screening area. Again, tell the TSA officer that you are declaring an unloaded firearm in you checked bag and they will run it through the x-ray and whatever else they do. You should wait while they do this. It usually takes 5-10 minutes at most. They may open your bag, and rarely (this has happened only once to me, ever, and it was not at Dulles) they will want to inspect inside the firearm case, which you will need to unlock for them, or give them the key or combination to do so. Once your bag is cleared, head to the security checkpoint to get to your terminal, relax, and enjoy your flight.

Always be polite, but if necessary ask to speak to a supervisor, especially if someone is telling you to do something that is illegal or wrong. The two most common problems I have had is airline employees telling me that I cannot fly with ammunition, or trying to put the firearms declaration on the outside of my suitcase. Most of the TSA agents, at least in my experience, are squared away.

Hope this is helpful. If you have specific questions, you can PM me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do not let that web site mislead you. DO NOT use "TSA locks" on your firearms cases.

Have never flow with guns so I'm wondering why the TSA locks are not advisable?
I know they are a universal lock that everybody has a key too, but what happens when you put your personal lock on the gun case. Do they cut it off if your not there?

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have never flow with guns so I'm wondering why the TSA locks are not advisable?
I know they are a universal lock that everybody has a key too, but what happens when you put your personal lock on the gun case. Do they cut it off if your not there?

Below is from the TSA website linked above, emphasis mine. The bold, underlined part is the key sentence to answer your question - no one other than you should be able to open your firearm case. A TSA lock does not meet this requirement. The paragraph below it is why you have to remain available while your bag clears TSA.

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

* You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
* The firearm must be unloaded.
* The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
* The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
* We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
* You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
* You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
* You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
* You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom