Question for you lawyers - evicting a 20yr old

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Asking for a friend... seriously. :/

A neighbor (single mom) has a son that just turned 20, is not in school, doesn't pay rent, and suddenly thinks he's the boss. He's been talking hateful to her and had stopped helping around the house. At the moment, she doesn't even know where he is.

The question is... can she just tell him to get out (and call the Sheriff if he doesn't), or does she need to serve him an eviction notice?

Thanks.

Just my opinion, but if he is related and over the age of 18 and does not (and probably never has), paid rent, I don’t see any reason she can’t tell him to leave.

He has reached the age of being an adult and if he does not have a lease or contract requiring payment. He is occupying the house because she allows it. She no longer has an obligation to support him as a parent. If she owns the house, it’s HER house and she can say who comes and goes.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Had a stepson like this years ago. He took a swing at me that didn’t work out too well for him when he was 18. Long story short he left, got his tail kicked a few more times in life, and finally learned to stop making excuses for himself. His mom and I are divorced but I get a text from him on my birthday and Father’s Day every year. Some just need a gentle shove into the big bad world to realize how good they had it. It’s harder for mom’s but most of them reach a point where it’s the last resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Padlocks on cabinets and refrigerator might help...
Don't restock, let the food dissipate-no need to lock or secure an empty larder. Unsubscribe to the pleasantries-like Direct TV, WiFi etc. Just shut it all down, it's not necessary for life anyway.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't restock, let the food dissipate-no need to lock or secure an empty larder. Unsubscribe to the pleasantries-like Direct TV, WiFi etc. Just shut it all down, it's not necessary for life anyway.

Or, be a parent and don't let your child control your life.

Pack his ****, put it in the front yard.

Change the lock. Finished.

This ain't hard people. Not even remotely.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I don’t inconvenience ourselves to train kids. I will not ever do without things in an attempt to train kids. We never childproofed cabinets and such when they were little for example. They were taught that my wife and I controlled those areas. We’ve had people come to our house with their little kids and actually try to put the blame on us for their kids getting into crap. When we went to these peoples house they had everything that could be opened modified or tied shut in someway. Lmao. That is counter productive. Teach the kids that what’s yours is yours and what’s theirs is theirs before they can talk. It’s easy. When they mess up, hit em where it hurts. For example, ice cream is an after dinner luxury around here. My oldest who is now 14 was about 5 and did something that was wrong. We ate dinner that night and were all looking forward to ice cream. Then, I informed her she wouldn’t be enjoying ice cream and not only that but she would sit there and watch how much I would enjoy eating ice cream. Haven’t needed to get after her since. It’s a mental thing. You gotta get in their mind. I learned this stuff dealing with animals. Gotta start em young. Middle daughter is almost 11. When she was about 3 she was pretty rude to her big sister often. We lived in a 1-1/2 story home at the time and never used the upstairs cuz we had tons of room downstairs and the upstairs had no heat/air or bathroom. It was just 3 empty rooms. One day I’d had enough of her rude behavior and told her that such a thing wasn’t welcome in our family and she was to move to the upstairs part of the house. It hurt her feelings and it hurt mine too but after she lived up there for a few hours she must’ve thought about things cuz she’s very polite nowadays. Sending her to her own room wouldn’t have made such an impact. Her room offered comforts. I believe those two being started on the right path is what has helped shape our 3rd daughter who is soon to be 5. Older siblings shape children as much or possibly more than parents. I don’t care how easy your horse is to catch, you turn him out with horses that are hard to catch and your wonderful catching horse will learn the habits of the others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I don’t inconvenience ourselves to train kids. I will not ever do without things in an attempt to train kids. We never childproofed cabinets and such when they were little for example. They were taught that my wife and I controlled those areas. We’ve had people come to our house with their little kids and actually try to put the blame on us for their kids getting into crap. When we went to these peoples house they had everything that could be opened modified or tied shut in someway. Lmao. That is counter productive. Teach the kids that what’s yours is yours and what’s theirs is theirs before they can talk. It’s easy. When they mess up, hit em where it hurts. For example, ice cream is an after dinner luxury around here. My oldest who is now 14 was about 5 and did something that was wrong. We ate dinner that night and were all looking forward to ice cream. Then, I informed her she wouldn’t be enjoying ice cream and not only that but she would sit there and watch how much I would enjoy eating ice cream. Haven’t needed to get after her since. It’s a mental thing. You gotta get in their mind. I learned this stuff dealing with animals. Gotta start em young. Middle daughter is almost 11. When she was about 3 she was pretty rude to her big sister often. We lived in a 1-1/2 story home at the time and never used the upstairs cuz we had tons of room downstairs and the upstairs had no heat/air or bathroom. It was just 3 empty rooms. One day I’d had enough of her rude behavior and told her that such a thing wasn’t welcome in our family and she was to move to the upstairs part of the house. It hurt her feelings and it hurt mine too but after she lived up there for a few hours she must’ve thought about things cuz she’s very polite nowadays. Sending her to her own room wouldn’t have made such an impact. Her room offered comforts. I believe those two being started on the right path is what has helped shape our 3rd daughter who is soon to be 5. Older siblings shape children as much or possibly more than parents. I don’t care how easy your horse is to catch, you turn him out with horses that are hard to catch and your wonderful catching horse will learn the habits of the others.

Pretty much.

I figure this lady probably screwed the pooch on this little bastard about the time he turned 2.

It's never too late to do the right thing, but it's a lot less trouble to start 'em out that way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom