Questions for the DIY Processors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After just paying $75 to get a doe processed this weekend I'm thinking next year should be the year to dive into processing my own.
So coming from all of yall who process your own, how do you age the meat and did you take a butchering class or what? What do yall recommend for getting started as far as equipment goes?

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have access to a large cooler that I hang deer in, usually for a week or 10 days. If I am where I cant hang I will quarter up and put in large ice chest in ice for several days, draining water and adding more ice as needed. The ice chest is my favorite way to do meat as it seems to get rid of wild taste some meats have, but hanging gives me more time. As to cutting I make jerky meat, ground meat, steaks and roast, the more you cut up the better you get at figuring out what is best way to cut. As far as equipment, sharp knives, grinders, tenderizers and vacuum bags and machine or butcher paper w/tape. I have cut up many and kinda self taught, not as hard as you would think just takes time.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Powerman is right on target. Separate the muscle groups in the hindquarters and cut them up for steaks,roasts etc. Next cut up the meat on the front shoulders for chili or jerky. Slice the loins up and then send the poison glands to me for telling you what to do.:D I was self taught if I can so can you.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am where I cant hang I will quarter up and put in large ice chest in ice for several days, draining water and adding more ice as needed. The ice chest is my favorite way to do meat as it seems to get rid of wild taste some meats have, but hanging gives me more time.

The ice chest method is exactly what I do when processing hogs. I usually just send the deer to the processor but do the hogs myself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom