Questions for the DIY Processors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
seperating all the muscles and get rid of most of the silverflesh for a better tender cut of meat and the chest is the way to go

I think that is what I do... dunno grandpa taught me how to dress and butcher everything.... never had one processed.... I process everything at the farm myself.... from our beef to our game....
with deer you have to remove all of the membrane on the meat.... it takes some time but the meat is not gamy at all.... as far as ageing... we just hang in the barn if it is cold enough.... if not we use the old ice chest method....

the only thing I really age well is old wild hogs.... tough as boots if you don't... but sure tasty if you do..... dang now I want a ham sandwich.....

Airic

Marksman
Reaction score
Can someone better explain the "ice chest method"? How do you keep an even and consistent temp and how do you keep melting ice from soaking the meat?

I have never actually attempted to "age" venison. Never thought I had the resources and I was a little scared I would ruin the meat.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone better explain the "ice chest method"? How do you keep an even and consistent temp and how do you keep melting ice from soaking the meat?

I have never actually attempted to "age" venison. Never thought I had the resources and I was a little scared I would ruin the meat.

Use an ice chest with a drain in it.
On day one when you cut it up, mix all the meat with ice.
Others may do it differently, but I put the ice chest on a box or something and slightly tilt it toward the open drain. Catch the water in a bucket and pour it out every so often. It will be blood red.
After about three days of adding ice, mixing it, the water in the drain will start to become clear. Your done. Slice it up or grind it:wink2:

Just another thing I do. If I have to get in a hurry and not have time to drain it in an ice chest, go ahead and freeze it, but when you thaw it out, do it a couple of days in advance and let it set in the fridge...the blood will drain this way too.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Others may do it differently, but I put the ice chest on a box or something and slightly tilt it toward the open drain. Catch the water in a bucket and pour it out every so often. It will be blood red.
After about three days of adding ice, mixing it, the water in the drain will start to become clear. Your done. Slice it up or grind it:wink2:

Thats the way its done!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Just another thing I do. If I have to get in a hurry and not have time to drain it in an ice chest, go ahead and freeze it, but when you thaw it out, do it a couple of days in advance and let it set in the fridge...the blood will drain this way too.

OK - you've got me curious now, I typically just butcher and freeze on the spot, does this do anything to the meat to make it taste better or less gamey, more tender or what?

I've never had a problem with the taste of my deer, but I'm honestly wondering if I'm missing out on something now - do tell.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK - you've got me curious now, I typically just butcher and freeze on the spot, does this do anything to the meat to make it taste better or less gamey, more tender or what?

I've never had a problem with the taste of my deer, but I'm honestly wondering if I'm missing out on something now - do tell.

In my case, with the deer living off of Ag crops all year long, I'm not so sure that it makes that much difference in taste, but allowing it to age for several days properly cooled, it will help made some of the tougher parts more tender.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

So I take it you're putting meat directly on the ice without a ziplock, right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom